2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie? Growing East West facing hills

Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38423

Hello everybody I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a long time. Even bought some seeds a few years ago but never got them planted.

My question is will ginseng grow on east west facing hills if they have enough shade and water. From what I've read north facing hills seem to be best but unfortuneatly the forestry service owns those.

Heres a pic of the east facing hill looking down. theres a creek at the bottom.
All help appreciated. Thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38424

Yes East facing hills are fine. As you can see by your pic shown you have native woodland plants already and your canopy looks good too.
If you have any spots void of woodland plants like on some western facing slopes then I would not plant on those. However, some Western facing slopes work well when the canopy, soil quality are good. How do you know when they are good, simple there will be woodland plants growing. When its bad sometimes the ground is void of plant life as it is burnt out or the soil is not good or in some cases the canopy is so thick no light comes through to help plants grow.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38425

Thank you. Out here seems like everything grows. The problem is trying to keep it from taking over the house:)

Re:Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38433

Latt has given you good advice. I would add that you shouldn't restrict yourself to north or eastern exposures. As long as the other prerequisites are present, you should be able to grow ginseng there. This is where test plots come into play.

Re:Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38437

Here's a pic of the west facing hill doesnt get as much light due to the tree canopy as the east facing hill but things do grow. Don't think I have to worry about the soil quality since as soon as any part of it gets more light from trees falling or whatever things start growing. but this area is steeper
Thank you for all information.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie? Growing East West facing hills 7 years 10 months ago #38447

I wouldn't be afraid to at least put some test plots there....from the looks of that I'm sure it would be just fine.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 243 guests and no members online

Login