2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds?

How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds? 8 years 6 months ago #36591

Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing some stratified seeds this weekend and start planting. If I buy a pound and can't get them all planted is there a way I can store them for a couple weeks or more? I live about 250 miles from where I plant so if I could keep them over a couple weeks that would help out. If not, I'll have to get smaller amounts of seeds or spend a lot longer in the woods. :)

Thanks,
Doug

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds? 8 years 6 months ago #36594

Hey Dougj29
just keep them in a cool place in the house away from sunlight and heat. Leave them in the bag they cam in. take a paper towel and wet it, then squeeze out the water so it is just damp. Put the paper towel in the bag and just move the seeds around frequently inside the bag so they can breath. Leave the bag open on one end slightly.
Seed should not be allowed to dry out but should remain moist but not yet. You can do this for another couple months or so. I planted in late December one time with no problem.
Latt

Re:How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds? 8 years 6 months ago #36595

I like this advise. I hope other new members or growers follow this.

Hugh

Re:How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds? 8 years 6 months ago #36598

Hi Latt,

Thank you for the great advice. Last year was the first year I planted and was planting 2 oz. at a time. I must have put 500 extra miles on my car running back and forth from where I bought the seeds to where I plant them. This method will save lots of driving this year.

Thanks!
Doug

Re:How Long Can I Save Stratified Seeds? 8 years 6 months ago #36605

I agree with Latt. However, I would suggest taking them out of the plastic bag and getting a plastic shoe box or similar from Walmart. They don't have air tight lids, costs a buck, and allow the seed to breathe better than a plastic bag I think.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 305 guests and no members online

Login