2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves

Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves 8 years 9 months ago #36046

Can someone please give me some information on what these yellow dots are, what they are caused by, and if it is dangerous to my plants? How do I treat it if so?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves 8 years 9 months ago #36048

jspence,

I see yellow spots on my wild simulated seng quite often, and also on wild ginseng in my area.

From my experience it starts as little yellow spots, and later on they may turn to a bullseye looking spot (brown in center, yellow on edges) and in advanced stage the leaves will look like they are melting, tops will die.

It does not always advance to the leaf melt or tops die off stage. Sometimes it stays in the yellow or bullseye spot stages. Just depends on how much rain you get, and how much the fungal issue advances.

Alternaria - I assume is the cause.

Fungicides - would be the solution that many turn to.

I choose not to spray mine though - I am just not going to do that. Over time they will thin out to a level that the land can support even though it is prone to fungal issues.

Where I used to plant large beds, at 4-5 seeds per sq ft...

I now plant much smaller areas and space them out, and only plant 1-2 seeds per sq ft.

That has helped here on my place.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

PS - below is a pic of a couple of 2 prongs (wild sim) with a few spots on them. I took this pic on June 14.

Attachments:

Re:Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves 8 years 9 months ago #36049

Below is a pic of a big old stout (wild ginseng) 3 pronger... that I harvested in 2010.

Notice it has some bullseye spots on it too.

So it is not just wild simulated seng that gets the spots... but it is probably more common to see it on wild sim since most folks plant it a lot thicker than wild will usually grow (naturally).

It does not always mean the end for the plant either. they can and do survive it, evident by this older 3 prong having it at harvest time, and other than a few bullseys spots, still holding up nicely.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves 8 years 9 months ago #36053

I am trying to upload a picture but I am not having much luck. Thanks a lot for the info guys. If the upload of the picture worked then there should be picture below... If not how can I get the picture to show?

Re:Yellow Spots on Ginseng Leaves 8 years 9 months ago #36055

jspence...

You will have to resize the image to be less than 800 pixels wide.

something like 800x600 works nicely.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 643 guests and no members online

Login