2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Goats and ginseng

Goats and ginseng 9 years 3 months ago #34190

In one of the other threads it was said that deer and turkeys are not good for ginseng. From that I would guess that goats will have the same effect. We have a few areas on our ranch that MIGHT be shaded enough for growing ginseng but since we get so dry out here in West Texas I was wondering if anyone had successfully done it. We've just (maybe) come out of a multi-year drought and had a really decent and surprising comeback for the grass and such on the place. This is limestone country so I was wondering if elevated pH levels are good for growing if we can fence off an area that would keep deer, goats and turkeys out. For it to be financially successful it would need to be a good producer/acre but the areas I'm considering are live oak shaded and one article said to keep the seeds away from oak trees. Didn't know if that meant all types or what. The liveoak leaves do contain a lot of tannic acid and not much grows underneath them but I've always figured it was because of the blocked sunlight.

Does any of this sound the least bit promising for this plant?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Goats and ginseng 9 years 3 months ago #34195

It does not grow naturally in TX except possibly that very north east corner. See map image below..

I don't think you would have any luck at all with growing it successfully outside of it's natural range.

It is quite difficult to successfully grow inside it's natural range :-)

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Goats and ginseng 9 years 3 months ago #34197

Yep, that's pretty much what I was afraid of. Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 149 guests and no members online

Login