2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new to ginseng harvesting

new to ginseng harvesting 10 years 7 months ago #24068

my family and I are going to try harvesting wild ginseng this year in ohio. My father has about 90 acres of wooded area that we plan to go look for ginseng at. This property has been in our family for 15 years, and has been undisturbed, we think it would be a great place to go look for ginseng. If we find ginseng, I was trying to find out if I need a permit to sell the ginseng we find to a buyer. I've tried to call ohio dept of wildlife, ohio dept of nat. resources, and another ohio state office (can't remember the name) to find out if I need a permit and I've been given different numbers to call and no clear straight forward answer. We are not die hard hunters, we are doing this for fun, education, and family bonding time. We might try this a second time, if our family likes it. (I have 3 kids I'm trying to find something fun for them to do :)) I don't want to go about this the wrong way. I've spent the last week reading and educating myself about ginseng harvesting in ohio. If someone could clarify this for me let me know.Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:new to ginseng harvesting 10 years 7 months ago #24114

Hi hillp75,

Thanks for asking...this shows you are looking at the right things.

There is no permit currently required to dig on private land in Ohio. You only need to have written permission from the landowner.

However, you must keep records of the ginseng you harvest by day, and by county in lbs and oz. (most of us use digital scales and just list by lbs. for instance 1.34 lbs). You must provide this information to the deal to whom you sell your ginseng. It will then be recorded on the paperwork for the state.

Dig carefully, and only dig large mature roots. Loosen the dirt well away and use your hands to carefully uncover the roots. Try very hard to not break them. Wash them by swishing them in a pale of water for a moment and wiping off any stuborn dirt with your finger. Never use a brush on ginseng. You may air dry them or sell them green. If you decide to dry your ginseng, it is often best to store them in an open paper bag or box in the refridgerator for a couple weeks first.

If you have some success, please give me a call so I can make you an offer before you sell. 419.651.8158

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds

Who's Online

We have 604 guests and no members online

Login