2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: no dig in my area..

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18961

That is too bad. :( I would be very depressed not to be able to go seng'in. I have a few plants growing at my house, a way to \"guage\" their development through the year I guess. I have scouted two days in the wild this week, and from what I have seen, plants are green with ripe berries. Here's a pic of the triple stem giant I have growing. Yep 3 stalks on one root; one is a 4 prong, the other 2 are 3 prong. I dug it a few years back and couldn't bring myself to sell it, so I planted it and it has done very well, I am surprised it grew the 3 plants back! Look at the berry tassel, bigger than a golf ball!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18962

ManRoot,
That is some plant!!! What a wad of berries. Those berries should make some nice sang plants someday. Was the root of that plant on the larger size too?
Latt

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18963

very nice,,,, manroot..

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18964

Wow.. that is a sweet wad of berries there and a big old top too.

I have a double top (2 - 3 prong tops) in my seed bed, and both tops put on berries, but just a few (8 or so) on each one.

I found two nice double tops last year and think I found one scouting last weekend (we'll see) when we did it later on.

Found one root years ago that had 3 - 3 prong tops.

None of mine were quite as large as that one thoug.

Nice !

Thanks for sharing.

TNhunter

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18966

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
As God lives Brother I would trade any bounty that this drought may bring for all of you who will not get to dig because of it to be able to dig 10 times over I am serious when I say it sadens me for it to be that way for you Chief because I know how that would bother me.This is something that we love and its value to me and you is far above the price we bring for it and I know that is how your heart is as well.

Chieftain wrote:

Billy our bad luck,may be your bounty,with alot less sang being available prices may go through the roof,,,still a great demand,,,and a shortage on supply may drive the price way up,,best of luck to you this year my friend ..

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18967

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
That is Beautiful manroot :)

ManRoot wrote:

That is too bad. :( I would be very depressed not to be able to go seng'in. I have a few plants growing at my house, a way to \"guage\" their development through the year I guess. I have scouted two days in the wild this week, and from what I have seen, plants are green with ripe berries. Here's a pic of the triple stem giant I have growing. Yep 3 stalks on one root; one is a 4 prong, the other 2 are 3 prong. I dug it a few years back and couldn't bring myself to sell it, so I planted it and it has done very well, I am surprised it grew the 3 plants back! Look at the berry tassel, bigger than a golf ball!

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18968

Latt, no the root wasn't very big weight wise like ounce and a half maybe, if i recall 4 bulby roots connected by a long old tap, 50 + growth scars. i am nervous about where to replant berries lol...

\"Minnesota regulations require that at time of harvest, all mature seeds
must be planted in the same general area in which the parent plant
was dug.\"

I'd like to move em to a woods somewhere but transporting is the issue since no specification between wild, simulated, cultivated or in this case a wild transplanted and now domestic garden plant is in the regulations but anyway that particular topic is in other threads.

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18969

thanks Chief, I would have to take a walk sept 1...just pretend it's oct 1 and lookin for the stalks. I have faith you can still have the experience of nature just not the large harvest. ginseng is a truly unique rhizome that will withstand the drought, berry production like you have said is lost, but the roots will survive. best of luck

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18970

thanks TN Hunter. for the size it was \"i'd rather have it at home then sell it and basically get a couple bucks for it.\" heck ya spend more than that on plants at a nursery or walmart etc. and these are unique. my neighbors are always \"oh is that that \"gin sing\" you dig? lol no clue funny how it's a certain breed of us that love the root and have knowledge of it being the truly unique gift that it is.

Re:no dig in my area.. 11 years 8 months ago #18971

Amen brother Billy

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 654 guests and no members online

Login