2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift!

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 8 months ago #18764

rootman wrote:

Hugh,

I'm a dealer in Ky. but all our papers are for roots fresh or dried. I'm pretty sure there is nothing illegal about sending your leaves anywhere after Sept. 1st.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

rootman

Actually, the way the Kentucky law is written, technically, when we talk ginseng in Kentucky we're talking about the entire plant, not just the roots.

www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/246-00/650.PDF
246.650 Definitions for KRS 246.660.
As used in KRS 246.660, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) \"Harvest\" means to take any part of the ginseng plant while the plant is living; and
(2) \"Ginseng\" means any part of the American ginseng plant known as Panax
quinquefolius.
Effective: June 8, 2011
History: Amended 2011 Ky. Acts ch. 15, sec. 1, effective June 8, 2011. -- Created 1982
Ky. Acts ch. 415, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1982.

Section 7 of our administrative regulation talks about Certification. www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/302/045/010.htm

Roots are referenced in terms of a root count, but again, we we talk about ginseng, we have to refer to the definition established in the KRS. That said, I have yet to certify anything other than roots, and if I'm thinking right, there really would only be roots, tops, and berries of the plant.

If presented, I would certify tops.

I would NOT however certify berries, as that would be in violation of the harvest regulations to move within 50 feet of the harvest spot.

Again, this is for Kentucky.

Also, I understand where you all mention that topping doesn't harm next year's root. I think that's true, but it's also dependent on if berries are present.

I feel that the majority here have a wealth of common sense and are knowledgeable not only about ginseng but it's finicky nature. I have to point that out, because not everyone possesses the level of understanding of ginseng that many of you do on this forum.

So, yes, topping doesn't hurt as long as the berries are ripe and planted.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 8 months ago #18790

DrSing- do you want 3-leafers, or just older plants?

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 8 months ago #18806

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thanks kyjabber I knew that you would prbably be able to answer that question.

You said in the note that you would certify tops if brought in,but is that something we need to do ? Like if I do dry tops this season and sell them out of state do I need to certify the tops ?

Thanks

Billy.

kyjabber wrote:

rootman wrote:

Hugh,

I'm a dealer in Ky. but all our papers are for roots fresh or dried. I'm pretty sure there is nothing illegal about sending your leaves anywhere after Sept. 1st.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

rootman

Actually, the way the Kentucky law is written, technically, when we talk ginseng in Kentucky we're talking about the entire plant, not just the roots.

www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/246-00/650.PDF
246.650 Definitions for KRS 246.660.
As used in KRS 246.660, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) \"Harvest\" means to take any part of the ginseng plant while the plant is living; and
(2) \"Ginseng\" means any part of the American ginseng plant known as Panax
quinquefolius.
Effective: June 8, 2011
History: Amended 2011 Ky. Acts ch. 15, sec. 1, effective June 8, 2011. -- Created 1982
Ky. Acts ch. 415, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1982.

Section 7 of our administrative regulation talks about Certification. www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/302/045/010.htm

Roots are referenced in terms of a root count, but again, we we talk about ginseng, we have to refer to the definition established in the KRS. That said, I have yet to certify anything other than roots, and if I'm thinking right, there really would only be roots, tops, and berries of the plant.

If presented, I would certify tops.

I would NOT however certify berries, as that would be in violation of the harvest regulations to move within 50 feet of the harvest spot.

Again, this is for Kentucky.

Also, I understand where you all mention that topping doesn't harm next year's root. I think that's true, but it's also dependent on if berries are present.

I feel that the majority here have a wealth of common sense and are knowledgeable not only about ginseng but it's finicky nature. I have to point that out, because not everyone possesses the level of understanding of ginseng that many of you do on this forum.

So, yes, topping doesn't hurt as long as the berries are ripe and planted.

Re:Buy wild ginseng tops and save nature's gift! 11 years 8 months ago #18818

how much you paying per pound dry?

Guy

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 423 guests and no members online

Login