2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted soon for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted soon for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transplanting seng roots

Transplanting seng roots 12 years 7 months ago #13583

This is my first year hunting seng. I was wondering if there was anything special you had to do to transplant young wild plants.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Transplanting seng roots 12 years 6 months ago #14560

im no expert but i would imagine if you just dig carefully, very late in the fall you could have pretty good luck transplanting them. just bury them in a good spot with the new growth bud a couple inches below the surface cover with dirt, tamp it down, cover with leaf litter, and add a little water. good luck
guys if i dont him wrong please feel free to correct me

Re:Transplanting seng roots 12 years 6 months ago #14562

The only thing I'll add is to keep them out of the ground as short as possible. When I've transplanted roots, I usually bring them home and give them a quick rinse (mainly just to keep them from drying out) I then dry off the excess water with a paper towel, put them in a ziplock bag and store them overnight in a cool place (If it is cool outside I'll keep them there as long as it doesn't get close to freezing) the refridgerator is fine, but I've had good luck with a temp around 50 degrees so why change. I always try to get them back in the ground by the next morning. Have had really good results with this.

Re:Transplanting seng roots 12 years 6 months ago #14566

I'll agree with 5prong. I wouldn't suggest watering them after you plant them. Water causes all kinds of issues with ginseng if there is too much.

I would also caution you about digging the smaller wild plants for transplanting. Make sure it is legal to dig them before you do. In Ohio, a harvested plant must have 3 prongs. If it doesn't, you can't dig it even to transplant it into a bed.

Re:Transplanting seng roots 12 years 6 months ago #14701

BCastle got it right, think it's all the states, three prongs or more.

guy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 176 guests and no members online

Login