2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bear Protection

Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12888

Anyone Carry a Pistol with them in case of Bear Attacks?I know bear Attacks Are unusual but there's Always the chance of running up on a Momma with Cubs.Most of my Stomping ground is Crawling with the Furry Critters.I carry a .22 Ruger MkI just in case.My uncle usually goes with me when i hunt.since He is Disabled in both knees He really can't run.I know Both of us are big enough to take on a Big Boar with our bare hands but... :laugh: I was just wondering if Anyone else carried something besides a Mattock.:laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12890

jughead

I come across bears in our woods every week. Our state of Maine has the highest population of Black Bears in the lower 48 states. Bears come through our yard on a regular basis. I have never found them to be a threat to me or my kids that wonder through the woods.

Of course you do need to give them the \"Right of way\". And use your head. If you do come across a mother with cubs, don't turn your back to them, but back up slowly and they will leave you alone.

Black Bears are not as big a threat as people make them out to be!

Good luck hunting seng!

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12895

I carry a four inch .41 magnum, nice gun. About three years ago I was in a light rain with a camo jacket on and digging a root and heard a noise in back of me. A sow with two cubs were about 25 yards away and I stood up, and hollered at them as loud as I could. The cubs ran and the sow started to huff but she ran also. The strange part I remember when I stood up I unintentionally made myself as tall as I could, I think this is an instinct thing, but I remember doing it. I have seen many bears and quite a few wolves, but I have other reasons for the gun. One bear with a single cub did charge me once, the cub was in the grass in the trail and I never saw it. She turned off when the cub ran away. about 15 yards away. I was ready to shoot.

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12899

We get all of the Trouble Makers from Gatlinburg up our way.The ones that tear out Garbage down there Get caught and get transported up Here.:laugh: I'm sure they're Harmless and Have had a Sow or two Spit on me when they were treed.One Place where I hunt had a Big Boar that Someone had wounded in the front Shoulder.It chased one guy that was looking for Deer Signs a Pretty good ways before it finally gave up.I started carrying my Pistol after he told me that.Did carry a 9mm Ruger P89 but had to Pawn it to make a Truck Payment.Now I just got my Little MKI left.I may Upgrade to a Taurus .410/45 LC Judge when i get the money or just go with a leinad .410 Pepper Box since they are Cheaper.

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12910

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I carry a 357 loaded with death shot for whatever reason that I may need it and pray constantly that I never do.

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12912

One item I noticed you mentioned about your disabled uncle reminded me of a story that all you need is a .22 and a partner. You kneecap the partner and run like crazy.

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12925

I remember the old saying. You do not have to outrun the bear, just the slowest person in the group.
Latt

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12966

Latt/Borrowed Time: What a hoot!

I carry a .303 Enfield or a .30 carbine with me, as we have plenty of bear in NW N.c. I always keep it central to where I'm working, not too far away.

Like Billy said, I never hope to need to expend a round, however am a firm believer on the old wisdom: Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This summer, my wife and I were out gathering soil samples up where we had planted. We were taking a short break, towards the top of the patch on a log. We got warned by a bear in the brush upwards of us, and not only was it startling - it sounded like it was maybe 10 yards up from us in the deep, thick Rodo., It stamped the ground and snorted a few times. We looked at each other... my wife looked , ah, well, had Panic in her eyes! We didn't have too much with us, however it got gathered up in a hurry, and we exited. My wife was in a real hurry, so I sent her on ahead of me. I told her no running... and she had the dog with her as well. I brought the rear, and waited down at the bottom of the patch behind a big maple. I only saw it's head and shoulders peering down at me from behind the brush.

I'm thinking that the bear was telling his bear buds there... \"Watch this! Wanna see some humans get all exited?\" They were all probally rolling in laughter as we left!

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12971

I just pay attention to my surroundings and keep my ears open... and wear good tennis shoes!

LOL

Seriously, I know not to run... every one I've seen has been more eager to get away from me ....I think they are camera shy.

Randy

Re:Bear Protection 12 years 7 months ago #12976

When I go senging it looks like I'm going off to war. I carry a .30 caliber large cartridge necked down bullet CZeckoslavakian pistol auto. It has the power between a 357 and a 44 mag. Also I carry a Marine Corps. K-Bar 7 inch knife that will shave. Yes I'm EX-Marine 69-70

rootman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 379 guests and no members online

Login