2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: drying

drying 12 years 8 months ago #12075

At work we have a pump room that is 0 % humidity and the temp. runs around 95-100 degrees. I was given the ok to put my drying rack in the room since anyone seldomly goes in there other than to make a pump check. Would my sang be ok if dried out in this room or would they classify it as \"quick\" dried? I've dried blood root out in there since it can get moldy if not dried right and it looked fine. I just don't want to ruin several lbs of sang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:drying 12 years 8 months ago #12084

Hunter,

I think that may be a bit too hot.

In Scotts book - page 157 - it says - air temps above 95 can darken the outside of the root and carmalize the interior, markedly decreasing the value.

What you might do is collect a few roots and try it out on a small test batch and see how it does.

If they darken and carmalize inside - not a good thing.

If they don't you might be OK.

I would say if you had air temps in there of 80-90 degrees you would have a ideal place there to quick dry seng (if needed to quick dry).

But I expect it may be a bit too hot.

TNhunter

Re:drying 12 years 8 months ago #12123

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
TNhunter wrote:

Hunter,

I agree

I think that may be a bit too hot.

In Scotts book - page 157 - it says - air temps above 95 can darken the outside of the root and carmalize the interior, markedly decreasing the value.

What you might do is collect a few roots and try it out on a small test batch and see how it does.

If they darken and carmalize inside - not a good thing.

If they don't you might be OK.

I would say if you had air temps in there of 80-90 degrees you would have a ideal place there to quick dry seng (if needed to quick dry).

But I expect it may be a bit too hot.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 516 guests and no members online

Login