2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ginseng planting rootlets

ginseng planting rootlets 12 years 8 months ago #12071

I am planning on using some of my ginseng I dig this season to plant a ginseng garden. When and how should I plant them. I got lucky one time and planted six 3 prongs and they made it to big 4s but i want to plant a lot more this time any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:ginseng planting rootlets 12 years 8 months ago #12131

renchin friend,

When you dig those roots up - pay close attention to how they were located in the ground - specifically how deep the bud spur was under the leaves, compost layer, dirt.

In the new location just plant them as close as possible to how they were previously growing.

I transplanted 44 roots last year to a seed producing bed and 42 of them came up this spring.

I would say on average I had the roots down deep enough that the bud spur was around 1.5-2\" deep (considering all of the leaves, compost, mulch) on top.

They did just fine.

Best time to dig those roots for transplanting would be late fall (as the tops start to die back) since next years bud spur wil be fully developed at that point.

Just be very careful not to damage the root and be extra careful not to damage the bud spur.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds

Who's Online

We have 418 guests and no members online

Login