2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What GPS do you use?

What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11410

Who Uses what Brand and Model of GPS?I'd like to get one one of these days and don't know much about the Hand Held type.The only thing about the one I use of dads in my truck that I know is that it gets me lost in the Projects every time i use it.:lol:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11481

jughead,

After we sold our ginseng last November for 700.00/lb - I took a little of those profits and bought me a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx.

I really have not used it for anything other than ginseng.

I have my wild-simulated plantings marked with it.

I have also been on a few scouting trips and last Saturday marked the location of 82 ginseng plants with it.

I downloaded topo maps of all of middle TN and now just anywhere I go seng hunting around here I have the lay of the land in my pocket.

It can do a lot of stuff I may never use, but if you mostly want to mark the location of ginseng, view topo maps knowing exactly where you are, and what it looks like just ahead, it will sure do that well. It has a nice built in compas too.

Once you mark a location you can use the find feature and the compas turns into a pointer showing you exactly what direction to go. When you get within so many feet of the location, it will beep to let you know you are arriving at your destination.

If you were hunting in some new territory you could mark the location of your truck before you head into the woods and easily \"find\" your way back.

Seems like I paid less than $200.00 for mine, but can't remember for sure now. I bought it just before Christmas this past year and remember they had it on sale at several places like Cabela's, Sportsmans Guide, and even at WalMart.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11485

Hey my GPS is a Garmin what type im not for sure but it is a very handy little tool. I love it you will never get lost again. But i agree with hunter on what it is used for, just like to mark ginseng and stuff.

I say you won't go wrong with any garmin you buy. Thats all i have ever used and its a very popular brand.

But i also say that they are many other types that will work just as well.

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11486

garmin here...love it..got 12 or 15 spots marked ready to look at some of them when season gets here...

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11487

Thank you Fellers.I'll be checking out the Garmins.Looks like I may have my hands on 70+ acres to be able to plant on.;) I'll need something to keep track of all of it.:laugh:

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11488

TNhunter wrote:

jughead,

After we sold our ginseng last November for 700.00/lb - I took a little of those profits and bought me a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx.

I really have not used it for anything other than ginseng.

I have my wild-simulated plantings marked with it.

I have also been on a few scouting trips and last Saturday marked the location of 82 ginseng plants with it.

I downloaded topo maps of all of middle TN and now just anywhere I go seng hunting around here I have the lay of the land in my pocket.

It can do a lot of stuff I may never use, but if you mostly want to mark the location of ginseng, view topo maps knowing exactly where you are, and what it looks like just ahead, it will sure do that well. It has a nice built in compas too.

Once you mark a location you can use the find feature and the compas turns into a pointer showing you exactly what direction to go. When you get within so many feet of the location, it will beep to let you know you are arriving at your destination.

If you were hunting in some new territory you could mark the location of your truck before you head into the woods and easily \"find\" your way back.

Seems like I paid less than $200.00 for mine, but can't remember for sure now. I bought it just before Christmas this past year and remember they had it on sale at several places like Cabela's, Sportsmans Guide, and even at WalMart.

Thanks

TNhunter

TN,
I was just getting ready to purchase this model when Garmin website says that they are discontinued. :angry:
Any other suggestions? I like all the features you had described and user friendly to boot.

Thanks..

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11489

g4747,

I am sure - like computers - by the time you get home with your new one - they have a newer model out and yours is on the retired list :-)

I checked the Cabela's site and they have this one listed:

www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin174-GPSMAP...BSearch-All+Products

It looks very similar to my GPSMap 60CSx - but the model on it is GPSMap 62ST.

5 User Reviews on it there and all 5 are 5 stars.

I remember last fall they were priced high, but just before Christmas several places put them on sale and they really cut the price and I got free shipping too.

TNhunter

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11490

I've got a garmin Etrex (cheaper model). It's not going to take you to within a foot of and individual plant, but will mark the general area. It's great for that and will get you back to your vehicle. It stores 500 waypoints - everything I need for sangin.

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11495

Here is what my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx looks like.

At this point I have zoomed in close enough that you can see my markers.

Where that G27 marker is there is two 4 prongs and several other 3's and smaller seng (27 plants all together).

The other marks are other seng plants or patches of plants along that same hillside.

Up at the top of the display it showed the lat/long readings - I had to block that out - don't want you guys finding my patch there :-)

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:What GPS do you use? 12 years 8 months ago #11538

Thanks for the Info everybody.I'm looking at the New Garmin etrex 30.Now if I can just scrape and Scrounge up the money for it.Done and Got me one of Johnny's seed sticks in the mail today.Now just need some seeds.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Who's Online

We have 277 guests and no members online

Login