Re:triple seed berry's picture 12 years 9 months ago #11034

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thanks Latt.

Latt wrote:

Billy,
I just took the 7 green berries and pushed them into the soil 1/2 inch seep and covered with some mulch. They looked fully developed but haven't turned red yet. Seeds from green berries buried have a better chance of germination than seeds from red berries that are left to lay on the surface of the soil. I remember some statistics on a thread explaining this. So I do bury all seeds red or green in September if I dig the root.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:triple seed berry's picture 12 years 9 months ago #11036

Guy,

That is a sweet looking berry pod.

I found that one of the smaller 3 prongs in my seed producing bed has a small cluster of berries but 3 of them have 3 bulges, 3 seeds.

You can see 2 of them easily in this pic, the other is the on at the bottom center.

It is a young plant, just a small number of berries but 3 of them with 3 seeds.

Cool.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:triple seed berry's picture 12 years 9 months ago #11119

Latt,

Below is a link to that study on berry ripening and germination results.

www.as.wvu.edu/biology/faculty/JBMPerson...005BerryRipening.pdf

Not sure why they picked the dates they did but they actually harvested berries on Aug 1, then agin on Aug 25, then again on Sept 22.

Aug 1 (all were green) looks like they planted 25 berries and had about 4% germination.

Aug 26 (mix of green and red) planted 18 berries and had about 62% germination.

Sept 22 (all red berries) planted 15 berries and had 40% germination.

It also says that 50% of Green Berries planted on Aug 26 germinated.

But now back on Aug 1, only about 4% germinated.

Your green berries that fell off and were planted around July 25, probably have a very slim chance of germinating, but I would have done the same as you. I would have planted them no matter how small the chance - you might just get lucky.

And yes if you find a nice plant with a mix of red and green berries (late August, early September) and you make the call to dig it, do plant those green berries right along with the red ones. They have a very good chance of germinating if still green (last half of August, or first of September).

I also agree with what you said that a Green Berry that is planted (say 3/4\" deep, covered with dirt/leaf mulch) in that late August, early Sept range, has a much better chance of making it than a Red berry that just falls off later on.

I remember reading something that said that a berry that is planted has a 8X better chance of germinating than one that just falls off.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 816 guests and no members online

Login