* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Raised beds????

Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10520

Hi all

New to this site...Nice place.

I have dug wild root in the past.Now that I moved back to Pa I want to get back into roots.

I have a small place that I can put 2ea 5x10 raised beds under natural shade.I would like to start a seeds and 3 yr old beds this season.Next season I need to make beds with artifical shade.

Now the questions LOL...1.What type of soil?I was going to put down a base of sand about a inch then peat moss for the bulk mixed with sand.Or would start with top soil mixed with peat and sand?

I have read that DON'T fertlize the seng roots..Why???If you go with organtic fertlizers like blood meal,bone meal and (Kelp) Green sand I can't see it hurting.

Where is a good place to get a Ph tester?

Please all jump in.I just want to get this some what right ..LOL.:woohoo:

Thanks for your time.....Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10521

Frank,

Quick answer since I am currently on my lunch hour.

Things that Ginseng needs most in soil is PH around 5.5 and calcium levels at 2000 pounds per acre or above (3000-5000 would be ideal).

The soil can be sandy or rocky for good drainage mixed with loam.

Rather than trying to make up the ideal soil mix from components like sand and peat moss - your best bet would be to get soil from the woods, north or north east facing hillside that has ginseng growing on it now, or at least several ginseng companion plants like maidenhair fern, bainberry, jack-n-pulpit, cohosh, etc.

On using organic fertilizer or any type of fertilizer.

All ginseng really needs (above what is found in most soils already) is high calcium content and proper ph.

Nitrogen supplement is discouraged because seng plants that get boost of nitrogen suffer from disease issues.

If your soil test low on phosphorous (below 10) you might consider adding some rock phosphate to the soil before planting.

Gypsum can be applied to the soil before planting and then top dressed each fall after tops die back, and agian in the spring just before tops emerge.

Gypsum will add calcium with no affect on PH.

Lime and BoneMeal are also good sources of Calcium but will raise the PH so should only be used if PH is below target of 5.5.

Hope this helps !

TNhunter

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10522

On the PH tester...

Cheap option that gets good reviews on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1612-Rapitest...309371589&sr=8-4

High Dollar device that also gets excellent reviews.

www.amazon.com/Rittenhouse-82353-Soil-PH...309371700&sr=8-3

TNhunter

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10523

FTB

If you are wanting to grow roots for your own consumption, then raised beds might be the way to go.

If your wishing to make money from growing ginseng, then raised beds with artificial shade would be the lowest quality of roots.

Artificial shade with raised beds produces roots that are worth about $30 a lb at best.

Check out these sites. Most say that a half acre planted with artificial shade produces a negative profit for three years of growing. Wild-Simulated sells for close to the same price as Wild but you have to wait atleast 7 years to harvest.

ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0056.html

www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/resources/plants/ginsengukag.pdf

pubs.ext.vt.edu/354/354-312/354-312.html

www.grow-ginseng.com/methods-of-growing-ginseng.html

Hope this helps you out.

classicfur

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10524

Thanks a million guys !!!!:cheer:

This info outta keep me busy awhile LOL...

Classicfur..You must be south Maine.I just moved back to Pa from Caribou....Blueberries is about what all that grows best up there LOL...

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10525

FTB

Yah, Caribou is about 3 hrs drive north of me. I would not want to live that far north. There's sure alot of Moose up that way!

Feel free to ask any questions about growing. There is alot of info on this site. And though we are not experts, we do have people that have learned how to grow seng, through the trials and errors.

Good luck Growing!

classicfur

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10530

The beds in the yard are more less for myself and family.

The seeds will go in the wood in due time.

How long can you keep beds under artifical shade without big problems?After you harvest do you need to replace the dirt?I think I read somewhere it wasn't wise to replant same beds/soil???

Thanks again ..Frank

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10533

FTB,

If you have a place on the north side of your house where you can put a bed in, right near the house, you may not even need to use artificial shade cloth or other shade providing material. Think of that place beside your house, garage or barn where the snow stays longest.

On the North side of most houses (or barns) you will get some decent morning sun for a few hours then will be shaded nicely the rest of the day.

I have a spot like that on the north side of my house and have considered making a bed there, or just putting in a few large planters (like 1/2 whiske barels) and growing some seng there.

On growing seng in the same soil over and over, I think it is really the presense of disease (fungal diseases) that are the problem. Growers that grow seng under artificial shade in cultivated soil, generally grow it reall thick and well they always get fungal disease problems and have to spray often to control it.

Once you go thru 5-6 years of that, well a fresh seedling just does not have much of a chance at all of surviving with all of that fungal disease present in the soil, just waiting to attack when conditions are right.

Larry Hardings told me he has successfully grown seng in the same beds/areas back to back, but now he sprays heavily with chemical fungicides (by the way which are known to cause cancer in animals) to accomplish that.

Most chemical fungicides (something like 90%) are rated as B2-Carcinigen per the EPA which means they cause cancer in lab animals.

If you are wanting to grow seng for your own personal use, I would suggest using only organic fertilizers (if necessary, gypsum, possibly lime or bonemeal depending on PH, rock phosphate), and also stick with only organic fungicides if needed to control foliar/root diseases.

One way to control disease naturally is to space the plants out more so the foliage is not touching - even on mature plants.

Planting the seeds at 2-3 per sq ft for example instead of 4-5-6 per sq ft.

Of course that means you have have a lot more bed planted to get the same amount of root harvested.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10534

Organic options to help with ginseng fungal diseases...

Plant Helper

www.ampacbiotech.net/products/main.htm

Actinovate

www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7725-actinovate-og-2-oz-.aspx

TNhunter

Re:Raised beds???? 12 years 9 months ago #10535

TN..

Thanks for taking the time.It's great that people are willing to share.It helps alot with the learning curve.I really do appreciate it.

Next question.Quality of seed and rootlets.There are seeds for sale everywhere even ebay..lol.How can I find a dealer with a good reputation.

Thanks again...Frank

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 308 guests and no members online

Login