2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting Ginseng

Planting Ginseng 12 years 10 months ago #10505

I'm looking to plant a pound of ginseng seed this fall. I have never done it before and have actually never seen a ginseng seed before. I want to plant the ginseng seed in a garden row planter to save time and energy. There is obviously no planting plate for a ginseng seed but am wondering if another plate would do. Are ginseng seeds similar in size to a more common seed? Corn? Beets? I want to know if anyone else has done this before or has a better suggestion. Any input would help. Thank you very much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting Ginseng 12 years 10 months ago #10506

Some will modify a radish seed planter. I cannot remember the recommended drill size to bore out the holes of the radish seeder. If I were you I would contact Larry Harding at Hardings Ginseng. I think it might have been Larry that told me about using a radish seed planter.

Radish seed looks remarkably similar to Ginseng seed except the ginseng seed is a bit larger. The ginseng seed cannot make it through the radish seed planter holes unless they are bored out with the right size drill bit.

P.S. You may want to watch TNhunters video on this forum galled \"Rake and Scatter\" method. It shows how to plant ginseng without using a seeder and is how I plant seed as well as most of the others on this forum.

Good luck.
Latt

Re:Planting Ginseng 12 years 10 months ago #10507

Also I think I remember something about Johnny's Select Seed. It might have been them that I talked to about modifying a radish seed plate. Their phone # is 877-564-6697.
Latt

Re:Planting Ginseng 12 years 10 months ago #10508

Kyle,

Below is a decent summary of how to plant wild-simulated using rake/scatter method. I think it would be difficult to use a garden planter in woods soil, but good luck to you if you do try that - and be sure and report back to us on your success or failure. We are all here to learn and help others.

===

1 pound of seed = approximately 7000 seeds.

Recommended planting bed size 5'x50' (250 sf).

Plant seeds at a rate of 4-5 per sq ft.

1000-1250 seeds per 250 sq ft planting bed.

One pound of seeds will make 6-7 beds.

Time per planting bed 45-90 minutes depending on how hard you go at it and the conditions of your specific site.

Step by Step:

1.. Clear the bed area of any large rocks, logs, small saplings, etc.

2.. Rake the leaves off a 5x50 sf area, just pile them up along the side of the bed.

3.. Scratch up the soil surface good to loosen it up. I recommend that you rake some of the top soil over to the edge of the bed and just pile it up along side your leaf pile.

4.. Drop your seeds at a rate of 4-5 per sq ft.

5.. Rake the top soil back on top of the bed, covering your seeds as much as possible.

6.. Rake leaves back on and walk it down (walk over ever sq inch of the bed) to compress leaves down on seeds, making sure seeds have good soil contact.

Tools needed:

A axe/mattock or grubbing hoe type tool is good for digging out small saplings.
Heavy Duty leaf rake. I have one 3' wide with pointed teeth that does a excellent job.

Note - you have to have the right location to grow ginseng. It will not grow well just anywhere.
If you have healthy stands of wild ginseng growing on your property already - excellent. Just make your planting beds in the same areas you find good healthy stands of wild ginseng growing.

If you don't have good healthy stands of wild ginseng growing where you intend to plant, you better do a good job of evaluating the site for ginseng growing possibilities. You need at least the presence of several companion plants, like maidenhair fern, bainberry, american hog peanut, jack-in-pulpit, etc. and you should collect soil samples and test your soil.

Ginseng seems to grow best in soil with a PH around 5.5 and with Calcium levels at least 2000 pounds per acre, with levels in the 3000-5000 range being even better.

Gypsum can be used to increase calcium levels without affecting PH. BoneMeal or Lime can be used to increase calcium levels but will raise the PH, so should only be used if your PH is below target.

PS - here is a link to my youtube channel. I have several ginseng hunting video's and also some on planting wild-simulated ginseng, including the results this spring.

www.youtube.com/yttnhunter

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Planting Ginseng 12 years 10 months ago #10511

Thanks guys for the input and advice. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I will definitely heed the advice and probably go with the raking method. Thanks again. If you have any other tips please don't hesitate. Wish me luck!

Re:Planting Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10516

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
As usal guys some great tips and advice,

Billy.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online