2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ah, they finally desided to come out

Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 2 weeks ago #9382

This evening was beautiful out so I took a stroll threw the woods and after some searching I found 15-20 sang plants in a new spot. The sweet part about it is I've got an offer in to buy this parcel of land and the home on it. I'm hoping to hear back from them in a week or so. There is some serious potential for large woods grown plots here that I would take advantage of. There are 5 (VERY private) perfect north by northeastern facing acres all covered by 30+ year old timber. How nice it would be to have sang beds all around the house.

On another note, my son and I have been wondering threw the woods and finding just HUGE amounts of blood root. I'd guess that in one single hollar alone there could be over well 100 dry lbs (figured it would dry out like sang). These blood roots are twice as big as a mans hand and in tight cluster of 100-200 plants. As soon as the seed pods open I'm going to start thinning the crop some and pray for average prices on them next year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 2 weeks ago #9385

Hunter

Sounds like nice piece of propery to start growing seng!

Way up North in Maine, I grow my seng on SE, South and SW slopes because the sun is not as intense as it is south of us. In fact by mid to late May we still have some Snow on Northern slopes.

I was wondering what state that property is in?

Good luck on your offer!

classicfur

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 1 week ago #9591

ANY PICS OF THE BLOOD ROOT, WHEN DO YOU DIG BLOOD ROOT TO SALE?

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 1 week ago #9598

KY Colonel,

I don't know if there if there are any kind of restrictions (harvest season wise) on blood root. None that I have ever heard of anyway. Perhaps someone else here will know more about that.

I used to dig some blood root and star root and yellow root while hunting seng but the price was so low on those that it just was not worth my time to mess with it. It can also be a bit too much like work digging a big patch of yellow root or blood root - where hunting seng is much more fun.

Here is a couple pics of some blood root I found growing along the bottom of a bluff last year. It had some good root on it.

It was late in the year and it was hot and dry at that point so it was a little stressed.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 1 week ago #9600

Here is what the roots look like...

You can see why they call it blood root from where I broke a root and dabbed some on my hand.

I hear that it can be used to treat skin cancer, not sure what else it is used for.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 1 week ago #9606

Im in the eastern panhandle of WV, dont know of any season on bloodroot here, but have started diggin bloodroot and solomons seal. There is so much solomons here, the woods are thick with it. I replanted the bloodroot \"seeds\" from the flowers to some areas on my land. Have not found any seng here anywhere. guess it just isnt the place for it :( . Still i keep lookin and huntin! Any body on here from my area?

Re:Ah, they finally desided to come out 13 years 1 week ago #9608

Blood Root and Goldenseal,
I always wait until the two plants produce seed and then replant the seed before I dig the root. That way the seeds grow to replace the roots I digs. So I dig in the fall on all plants for that reason.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 309 guests and no members online

Login