2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice Please!!!!

Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6119

I Am new to the whole ginseng picking and i found some but it's hard to get an estimate of what i have and how much it's worth so if someone could look at this link and respond back and give me some idea of how valuable these would be (price range) it would help a load!

s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/postslipknotik/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6120

It looks like you got some good root there. Unfortunatly not I nor anyone else can tell you exactly what its worth. There are two ways of selling ginseng; 1. green/or fresh and 2. dry I personally sell mine dry and have never sold any green. Next you will have to get ahold of a licensed ginseng dealer in your state and ask him what the current price per pound is. Then you will know how much you have. But remember it takes about 200-300 average roots to make a pound and maybe more than that I have never counted.

Re:Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6121

Almost all these roots average an oz or more. Either way i am going to sell them today and i was curious as to weather or not to sell them pound for pound (by weight) or if i had something special and should be a little more care full. Please let me know.

Re:Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6133

Hey IOWA,

Those are some nice roots and it looks like you did a good job of digging them.

I don't see anything extra special in the bunch though - nothing like a perfect man root or emporers root.

My favorite is that one with the fairly long neck and fat double bulb type root.

In Scotts book he says those type roots - fat bluby type - are more desireable to the buyers than the longer slimmer roots that have lots of forks.

I had one really good hunt this year where I collected several nice big fat bulby roots (pic below). No doubt they will help my overall stash out a bit value wise.

PS - if you take the green weight and divide it by 3 that is approx what the dry weight will be.

I think most buyers are paying in the 400-450.00 dry pound range now. I hope it goes higher later on in the year so I am going to hang on to mine a while.

PS2 - I found that little electronic scale in the kitchen gadgets section at Wal-Mart - best I remember the price was in the 20-25.00 range. Sure is nice for weighing out your roots green or dry.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6150

TN, you just keep posting that pic to make me drool

Re:Advice Please!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #6186

Billygoat,

Yep - that is my favorite root collection pic from this year by far.

There is about a 100 yard stretch of that east facing bluff that I have not hunted yet this year. Think I will take a hike back down there tomorrow morning and see if I can find any more of those big fat roots.

The growing conditions there must be excellent for seng cause all of those big fat roots only had 6-8 bud scars on the neck.

I am going to load that bluff area up with some stratified seed this winter - hopefully that will pay off nicely in another 6-8 years.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 69 guests and no members online

Login