2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: double stem plant

double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5680

My son asked me yesterday if there were many two-stemmed plants that I had found over the years. I said some every year, I never kept count. Now today, thanks to Billy, who gave me the idea to check out a gully that I haven't been to in years, I found a conglomeration of roots in a double stem job. My son has a picture on his phone, I got to figure out how to get it on here. Quarter pounder, and not a Big Mac. I got it in wet sand, I might try to transplant it to a spot where big plants grow, and I can keep an eye on it.

Does anyone have an opinion on what causes a double stem? I think the two seeds in a pod just grow together, but separate, if that makes sense.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5681

I totally agree.

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5699

I've seen several that you could tell that it was two seperate plants that had grown in such proximity to each other that they became intertwined and couldn't be seperated, but I also encountered one quite a few years back that had one main root and the neck came up like normal for about a half inch, then it split form that point into two necks and two tops from there on out. I've always thought that the neck was injured somehow or something out of the ordinary happenned to cause this split. These are just my thoughts. I'm not claiming to know much about this.

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5702

Not real sure what makes a few of them grow multiple tops.

I have found several with 2 tops over the years and one with 3 (3 prong) tops that was a really nice root.

I'm not sure about the 2 seeds in one berry somehow merging together. Think I would lean more towards some type of damage to the root neck causing that, or could just be that the plant was growing in ideal (root) conditions and the root could support multiple tops so it just sent up another.

May never know the answer to that one for sure.

Here is a pic of the 132 year old root from Scotts book.

Looks like it had 2 tops.

You can see one curl going up off the main root and another curl leaving it and going over to another root. Strange.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5722

I am looking at that 132 year old plant and still can't quite figure how it grew. Roots off the stem doesn't seem right, it looks like a merger to me. Strange, but very interesting.

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5725

I have dug 3 brst I can recall, all 3 plants came from within 100feet of each other, must be genetic as well.

Re:double stem plant 13 years 7 months ago #5728

I find the double stemmed plants too some every year we found a few just last weekend. As for how they get that way, I think its from both ways sometimes the seeds grow like that and some seem to have had some kind of damage causing them to grow that way. At the beginning of season I found a group of seng one a double stemmer (I call em four prongs :) ) well i dug a single and there was only a neck and a crown the rest of the root was what i thought rotted away, it was mushy. So I dug another same way, and yet another. I came to the double stemmer and it was the same, but as I dug the double I also dug up a huge grub. i mean i ve seen some big meaty grubs out there but this one was a little bigger than a half dollar. I guess he found out about the benifits of ginsengs adaptogin qualities.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 390 guests and no members online

Login