2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: little bit i dug today

little bit i dug today 13 years 7 months ago #5623

went to one of my favorite spots today and pulled out a few good sized roots. hopin maybe they'll put a little $ in my pocket till next weeks dig. leaves already started to turn, and some were wilted. i had to do some 'coonin' to find a few.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:little bit i dug today 13 years 7 months ago #5625

Hey Elijah - got to ask - exactly what is \"coonin\" ?

I have been coon hunting, coon trapping, but not sure how the term \"coonin\" applies to seng hunting - unless you were getting down on all 4's looking real close.

PS - I found some on Monday. I actually spotted a few small 2 prongs and took a close look at them to see if they had any berries that I could plant and then noticed just up the hill from them some red berries shining.

There were 2 big 3 prongs up there that had been browsed by something (deer probably) and had no leaves at all - just a stem sticking up and 2-3 berries left on the berry pod.

Perhaps I was doing a little \"coonin\" there ?

TNhunter

Re:little bit i dug today 13 years 7 months ago #5626

HA! thats lucky as all get out! when i say 'coonin' i just mean runnin my fingers under the dirt to try and find any roots that dropped their stems early. i also go 'coonin' for arrowheads in the sand banks of the creek beds around the farm. i found a seng plant this season that had an extra set of prongs comin up out of the middle of the berries. could i call it a 'double decker'? i have heard a few old timers say they found a double decker one time, and never quite knew what they were talkin about.

Re:little bit i dug today 13 years 7 months ago #5629

Ahhh... I see what you mean by coonin now.

I have found a few nice roots in the past when digging another one that had a top, but the suprise root I found had no top at all. I bet that has happened to me at least 10 times in the past.

I have found nice roots that had multiple tops - best I can remember had 3 nice 3 prong tops off the same root and a nice root at that.

I never found a double decker though but wish I could.

Back in my High School days (late 70's) my seng hunting buddy then (who was also my trapping & hunting buddy) - I remember him saying that his dad found a 7 prong one time - a 4 prong that had a double deck with 3 prong on top of that.

Now that would be a cool thing to find.

If you got a pic of yours - please post it - I would love to see one of those double deckers.

TNhunter

Re:little bit i dug today 13 years 7 months ago #5630

aw man! that must have been a sight! yeah, i left the top in the woods, so i never got a picture, but it sure was pretty. i took my roots to the buyer today, he was givin 345 a lb. so im hopin to dig a few weeks more before the tops wilt. i am in the lamar/russellville area in northern arkansas, and im needin a few new hollers. im pullin out the topo maps tonight.

i would love to start trappin. how should i tackle it?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 438 guests and no members online

Login