2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dry weather

Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5532

Anyone else had trouble with your ginseng being already dormant from the dry weather? So much of the hillsides I turn are dry and all of the plants are down, and were the first day of digging. I've never dug so many stems

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5533

I'm probably a week or two away from my season being done. It's been so dry where I live, 90% of the seng is completely burned up. I have to go in down in deep hollers or low wet areas to find even yellow plants. What's worse, the leaves are falling off the soft wood trees already making plants incredibly difficult to find.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5538

dry here too.seems like when the plants start to turn yellow ,it aint long and they fall apart..seen some small stuff I left .go from green to yellow to gone in 5 to 7 days..

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5539

I too have been going to the deepest, darkest hollers to look as well. It seems that here if I can find a good sized pawpaw patch and look under it, it's been dark enough to support the plants longer. I have, also, but with much less success, turned the very top of the ridges. I don't find many plants but the one's I do are the mature, old growth stuff that most guys won't climb for or even recognize, but the stems are big as a pencil and the roots are deep. Big seng looks much different from what most people dig.They often walk or drive right past it without knowing. Sorry to hear it just ain't me with the dry problem and glad I found this forum.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5544

same here guys in east ky. Usually what we r seeing right now we usually don't see untill the first of October. So it is going to be a short season for us all. I just hate it for the guys that season didn't start until late.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5547

We should send you some of our rain in wi. I got poured on three times in a row. The rain knocked down plants, people not finding much.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5550

We finally got a little rain last night where I live, and as far as hunting goes, I think it did more damage than good. I didn't have the best of luck this morning, so I'm really wondering if that rain didn't knock down a lot of the wilting plants and make leaves fall more than they would have normally. While I'm out, I'm seeing ferns that have burned up and pawpaws that are yellow. When the pawpaws start burning up, you know it's dry.

Re:Dry weather 13 years 6 months ago #5551

It's been kinda strange around here. Most of the plants right here around home were just wilted not even really yellow just wilted on the first day of season (sept. 1st). But areas about a 45 minute drive to the south, southeast of me got decent rain in august and are just now starting to turn yellow. I havent been out around home in over ten days, but imagine a lot of it is just stems by now. It is raining here today, but so far has been pretty light.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 375 guests and no members online

Login