2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting

Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5413

I recently got permission to hunt a HUGE piece of woods that I have never been in before. I really think investing in a GPS unit will pay off for me in this area. I don't know much about them, but here's what I would like a unit to do. I obviously would like to find my way back to my truck without having to remember 50 different landmarks along the way. I would also like to be able to save any \"hot spots\" I come across so I can get back to them in following years. The thing would need to get a signal in thick woods and in DEEP hollars, and it would also have to be tough and waterproof. I would love to hear any input from veterans about this subject.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5414

I have a Garmin Astro that I use. It's actually used with tracking my dogs but, it has everything that a regular system would. I have good reception in the deepest darkest hollers with full foliage on the trees. It beeps when it looses signal and the only time I ever hear it beep is if I'm setting on it. I've not actually threw it in a creek to find out if it's water proof but, I've stood in the pouring rain using it with no side effects.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5416

I use a garmin Etrex. It's a basic entry level model, but does everything I need it to do. Stores up to 500 waypoints and shows directions. Does pretty good job picking up signal, but does seem to have some problems in thick canopy after about 8 hours or so of battery use. I use my compass more than my GPS, but always have both with me in a new or big woods.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5426

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I have been thinking about getting one but never have yet I have always had prety good memory as to where to go back to but it seems that i am starting to get my years and times mixed a little in different hollows and the gps would help me keep that right I think.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5430

Something that I like about mine is that when I find a good game trail or over grown logging road I just hit the track button and it follows me until I stop it. Once I get home I over lay it on Google and can see where I would have ended up had I continued or finding quicker routes to other spots. Stuff like that. You can also \"go back in time\" with some google maps and see old logging roads. I have 1 map that goes back to the 50s.??? Some times you can find it where there are no leaves on the trees and see the trails that you just walked down. I have a map and compass that I still carry but, I must admit the GPS is so much nicer.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5434

I just got my Garmin 60cx a week ago, and I am loving it. This is my first year digging, and I thought what a great way to 1) not get lost, and 2) keep track of all my seng locations. The 60cx will run you $225, and is well worth the money. I have read reviews and done research on just about every handheld out there, and this is the best bang for your buck. Most older units won't be very accurate when it comes to setting waypoints, as well as horrible LCD quality. The 60cx holds 1000 way points.

I say go for it get one, it'll pay itself off in no time!

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5445

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I tell you what guys I am about convinced to try one.And the truth is I havent had a new toy in a good while :)

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5449

I'm convinced too. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a \"middle of the pack\" unit. I hit my new spot today, and now more than ever, I can't wait until my GPS is delivered. I followed an old log road in today and dropped over an incredible bluff to the right of that road. That bluff just goes on and on. I have no idea how long it will take me to cover it all. Where I will really need the unit is when I go to the left side of the log road. From satellite maps I have seen, that patch of woods seems endless, so I'm a little concerned about getting lost. I'm pretty pumped at the moment. Not only do I have a new area to explore, I found big roots that were really old on my first outing today, plus I'll have a new man-toy to play with! Thanks for all the commets guys.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5504

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jacquo wrote:

I'm convinced too. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a \"middle of the pack\" unit. I hit my new spot today, and now more than ever, I can't wait until my GPS is delivered. I followed an old log road in today and dropped over an incredible bluff to the right of that road. That bluff just goes on and on. I have no idea how long it will take me to cover it all. Where I will really need the unit is when I go to the left side of the log road. From satellite maps I have seen, that patch of woods seems endless, so I'm a little concerned about getting lost. I'm pretty pumped at the moment. Not only do I have a new area to explore, I found big roots that were really old on my first outing today, plus I'll have a new man-toy to play with! Thanks for all the commets guys.

Thats good Jacquo post again after you use it a few times and let me know how you like it after you use it also,Thanks.

Re:Anyone Use a GPS Unit While Hunting 13 years 7 months ago #5510

I use a garmin..I use it more for sang in the off season..if I'm out coonhunting or just out in woods and see a some sang .I mark it on the garmin..when season comes in I check the garmin to see where my likely spots to look are ..the garmin can remember alot better than I can..been using it now for 4 years...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 383 guests and no members online

Login