2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: O

O 13 years 7 months ago #5062

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Turn a green berry red.... 13 years 7 months ago #5067

papa,

I am sure that would work nicely but in some States (like mine TN) if you got caught doing that you could get in trouble with the law.

==
? Tennessee requires that seeds of collected wild ginseng be planted immediately in the approximate location in which plants are harvested.
==

I found this in the KY State laws...

==
? Kentucky requires that seeds adhering to harvested wild ginseng be planted within 50 feet of the location of the plant, ?with no tool used other than the finger.?
==

Tennessee's wording of \"planted immediatly\" would make that a bit risky.

I did not see anything in KY law that mentioned berry color or planting immediatly so you might get by with that in KY. You would have to take it back to the same location and plant it within 50' of the harvested plant to comply with the law. It is odd that they mention planting with no tool other than the finger. If you ask me that is a bit crazy.

On Monday mornings hunt I planted several hundred berries - If I had done that with my finger only I would have some raw fingers right now.

I always take my seng digger and make a shallow trench (very similar to how Billy did in his video) and space the seeds out in that trench and then cover with some loose dirt (mostly top soil - that dark rich stuff - and mulch then compress it a bit to make sure the seeds have good contact with the soil and will not dry out.

Some of these States could probably do better on their Ginseng Laws perhaps by taking another look at them and comparing to other State laws and consulting with some certified Ginseng experts like Scott Persons.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 165 guests and no members online

Login