2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: alot of ginseng but very few berries...

alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4880

went couple trips in the woods,done good so far.but ive never seen a year like this!!!8 out of 10 plants i find,has no berries at all....they are already gone..the ones that has berries just has 3 or 4,and alot of the tops has been eaten off....anyone else seeing this in their neck of the woods....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4891

Pistol,

Yep I have seen some of that around here (Middle TN).

Mostly smaller plants, 2 or 3 prongs that have flower spikes but no berries.

I think a lot of them just did not set fruit this year. We had a very hot and dry June and first week or two of July. I think that made it hard on the smaller plants this year and many just did not set fruit and many of the ones that did have less berries than usual.

I am going to visit several of my sang hunting spots this year (late fall/winter) and plant some stratified seed to help out the natural reproduction process.

TNhunter

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4906

same here in eastern ky I told my buddy hillbilly we need to do the same thing

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4909

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
It is the same here as well.

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4917

It must be the hot dry weather you guys have had. We are loaded w/ berries up here. It's been hot but we've had some timely rains.

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #4939

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Billy wrote:

It is the same here as well.

Let me refraise what I said their.

When I find a plant that has its top still in it then their are plenty of berries,but alot of our tops have just simply been gone this year,bite off.

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #5019

The last time we went the same thing happened, but i believe it is due to the deer. Just about every big plant that we fount that had a big ol berry stem the berries were gone or the whole thing was gone. And the ones that were kinda hidden and under a lot of weeds had berries so i believe if the deer can see a big ol berry pod that looks like an apple it gets ate. But I believe this area will be alright because me and terry still planted a sufficient amount of berries and we have probably pinched off close to over 100 tops of younger seng. So i just guess when me and terry go back to this place in years to come we should just follow the deer trails and hopefully the deer will have planted the seeds for us mother nature style.

Re:alot of ginseng but very few berries... 13 years 7 months ago #5056

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
hillbilly wrote:

The last time we went the same thing happened, but i believe it is due to the deer. Just about every big plant that we fount that had a big ol berry stem the berries were gone or the whole thing was gone. And the ones that were kinda hidden and under a lot of weeds had berries so i believe if the deer can see a big ol berry pod that looks like an apple it gets ate. But I believe this area will be alright because me and terry still planted a sufficient amount of berries and we have probably pinched off close to over 100 tops of younger seng. So i just guess when me and terry go back to this place in years to come we should just follow the deer trails and hopefully the deer will have planted the seeds for us mother nature style.

hillbilly
we should just follow the deer trails and hopefully the deer will have planted the seeds for us mother nature style
Roger That LoL.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 361 guests and no members online

Login