2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: age of root

age of root 13 years 7 months ago #4848

I have watched these old roots grow for over 30 years. They all don't come up every year. they some times lay dormant for two to 3 years. Every now and then I get a supprise and one I have never seen before shows up. On an average year there are 6 to 8 big 4 prong plants that make it to berry stage. and we always plant them as soon as they get ripe. I don't think that the big old ones do come up every year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:age of root 13 years 7 months ago #4849

Hugeroot,

You are right about that.

Sometimes they just don't send up a top and sometimes they do but it gets eaten.

The root just waits until the next spring normally and sends up another top.

On several occasions I have been digging a bunch of seng and found another nice root right next to it that did not have a top at all.

Now that is a nice suprise !

TNhunter

Re:age of root 13 years 7 months ago #4858

yeah ive dug some like that too TN.

Re:age of root 13 years 7 months ago #4873

strange things happen i have a spot that i planted about 5 years ago the next year they came up looked good then mother nature gave up a nice ice storm and all the tree tops came down and the spot got full sun. i thought the plants died when none came up and it stayed sunny in that spot for the last few years but this year i walked thru the area and under the weeds were my plants some that got good shade came up as big 3 prong and some are small 3 prongs some even had seeds this year .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 337 guests and no members online

Login