2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What a find

What a find 13 years 9 months ago #4066

I took off real early yesterday to beat the heat and go for a scouting trip in a new place. An hour, all up hill got me heated up and I didn't see anything, I then decided to try and go down this drop off. No go, too steep, so I scaled up toward the top again when I spotted a an open area due steep rocky area. There was also an easy way to traverse that way so I headed up there at one point on all fours! I got to the open area, about 50 feet square and there, jumping out at me was the biggest seng plant I'd ever seen! Then another and another, all toll maybe 15 huge plants with some smaller ones!

These things were over the top pf my knees, with each leaf at least 5\" long and real wide.Every plant had huge swelled up berry clusters already too. I've seen some big ones but not like this! I'll take some pics before I dig them next month.

I dug these a couple years ago. The plants I saw yesterday were much bigger!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:What a find 13 years 9 months ago #4067

When you go on pre-season scouting trips - should take your camera with you so we can all see those big ones you found.

I always enjoy a good pic of a nice healthy LARGE ginseng plant.

PS - I was out looking my land over for potential planting sites yesterday morning and found 9 nice 3 prongers and one was nice and tall/large growing just up the hill a bit from the others. Some of them were bunched together with several smaller 2 prongs and 3 leafers growing under them (obviously natural re-production happening fairly well there).

Good sign for the half acre sized plot in that area that I plan to plant this fall :-)

Do send in those pic's when you get em.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:What a find 13 years 9 months ago #4068

Oh I was kicking myself for not having one but I don't have a pocket cam right now. Knowing where I was going I didn't want to bring my big Nikon, but I'll bring it next month for sure! It took me over an hour up a steep mountain to get to this spot. I think I figured out a way to get there a little quicker next time.

It's real rocky there with some pretty big rocks to move to get at some of these. Not sure what to bring for digging.

Re:What a find 13 years 9 months ago #4094

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Cant wait to see them Maya congrats.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 636 guests and no members online