2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition)

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 6 months ago #42628

Datwood, it sure will be at my house, lol. You almost have to wade through the acorns. Never seen them like this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 6 months ago #42629

well ill send you some squirrels ..I had 19 in the yard the other morning..

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 6 months ago #42630

We had two late frost this year... one on april 15 (best I remember) and another on mothers day...

I had a nice load of apples, peaches, plums, grapes, muscadines, etc.. on... but zap, done for... none this year. Turned brown, fell off.

Many trees were leafed out pretty good and blooming too and all that turned brown and dried up.. came back out about a month later.

No acorns either... my big white oak in the back yard that always produces a load of acorns.. none this year.

Poplar blooms got toasted too... big (I heard main) source of food for honey bees.

This year I saw not one honey bee on my sweet corn tassels... and the are normally covered... busy collecting that pollen. I heard the reason for that is that bees have to get their collection of nectar before they turn to pollen... and this year they had a very hard time getting the nectar they needed... because of all of the frosting that happened.

Never saw a yellow jacket in my compost pile or anywhere in my yard either this year... think the late frost made it hard on them too. Hornets... black and big yellow are very thin this year too.

I have a 6" PCV pipe corn feeder in the back yard... and just past that a salt block... I put that out for the Deer and Turkey... but the Squirrels seem to get the bulk of it. Got some fattened up nicely.

If COVID does cause food shortages... I will be collecting some of those. Good to have your own home grown food sources :-)

TNHunter

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 6 months ago #42631

It sure is TN. Chief, I'd get the ole 22 out and thin some of those squirrels out, and fry em up.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 6 months ago #42632

ive been eating a few,,iam surrounded by woods they never seem to thin down any.....

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 5 months ago #42636

Went out this morning for a while. I've had several cold mornings now and a little rain. The leaves are really starting to fall as well. The color has definitely not peaked yet, but is on its way. The ginseng was about 90 percent yellow or just about gone all together, but managed 10.3 oz's today which given late October isn't to bad, especially with all the leaves on the ground. I think today was probably my last time out this season. I look forward to focusing on some crappie fishing, and a little hunting as well.

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 5 months ago #42637

10.3 oz's of some late October seng.
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 5 months ago #42638

Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 5 months ago #42639

Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2020 (The Apocalypse Edition) 3 years 5 months ago #42640