2019 Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-order your seed for fall planting, next shipment on Monday, 8/19/2019
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders are currently accepted for fall shipment
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question

Question 1 week 4 days ago #41978

Every year I order ginseng seed to plant as I wander the hills. Is it good as a Stewart or should I just plant the berries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question 1 week 4 days ago #41979

diggerAK..

I think you are doing a good thing there...

I think at a minimum a digger should plant every red berry he can find while hunting seng. And should only harvest mature roots... leave all those small 3's and lesser seng to grow for another day.

Anyone that purchases seed to plant in addition to that -- I think deserves a BIG Thumbs UP !!

TNHunter

Question 1 week 4 days ago #41980

I’ve been doing that for years and it really pays off. I’ve hunted several woods for 20 years and it seems like there is more ginseng there now than there was when I first started just because of planting seeds and doing what Tennessee said. Leave the young 3’s alone and plant all those red berries. Ive found that it’s also a good idea to only hit a woods every 3-4 years to give that sang time to get big. I would also give you a big thumbs up for carrying seeds in.

Question 1 week 3 days ago #41983

Appreciate it. I haven't dug hardly no ginseng in a few years. Low price and alot of extra work. If price gets right I got 8-9 hundred big 3 and 4 prongers to dig. If not I'll cut tops opening day and I'll leave them for next year. I guess my idea is that seed comes from other areas. Will it be a different type or are they all the same

Last Edit: by diggerAK. Reason: Forgot to finish

Question 1 week 3 days ago #41984

diggerAK..

On your question... if it would be different or are they all the same...

I would say that depends on where you get your seed from.

I bought stratified seed for several years and planted it. My seed came from a state that was several hundred miles north of my location...
But my wild sim looks a lot like my local wild ginseng. It is really hard to tell them apart.

But now when I started my Seed producing bed, I put 40+ roots in that bed, and I purchased 5 roots from Billy Taylor (from the KY state, in the mountain area...). He lived in that county in the far south east of the KY state best I remember. His seng is Mountain seng.

Here were I live our elevations run from around 600' - 1100'. Hills and hollows, plenty, but no mountains.

His ginseng plants the berry stems were very long (initially)... I mean berry pods sticking up 4-8" above the leaves easily.

But my wild seng around here, most of it the berry pods have short stems, with the berry pods being down below leaf level.

I have had those Mountain roots in my seed bed since 2010, and have noticed over the years that those berry stems have slowly reduced in length. They are not nearly as tall now as they were initially.

I guess there is just something about Mountain soil, light, conditions... that produces those tall berry stems... and Monster roots too.

TNHunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 517 guests and no members online