2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seed bed roots

Seed bed roots 7 years 6 months ago #39059

I dug my first roots yesterday. I found and dug 5 nice sized 3 prongs (yet to find a 4) and left all of the smaller 3s to grow. I replanted the 5 in what will become my seed bed already.

This was the largest root of the bunch albeit it was not the oldest. Im sure many of you cringed when you saw my knife laying there, I stopped and picked up a rock hammer on the way home so will use that for digging in the future. What are your thoughts on this root? Seems like a good size for short neck. And the neck seems fatter than a lot I've seen posted. Is this a trait for certain areas?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed bed roots 7 years 6 months ago #39060

That's a good looking root, however if you plan on replanting it you really need to get every single water (hair) root that you can. If many of the small water roots break off then the chances of survival after transplanting is much lower. Almost has the shape of a man root too!!

Re:Seed bed roots 7 years 6 months ago #39061

Found 3 roots about that size yesterday. Planted approx 50 seeds

Re:Seed bed roots 7 years 6 months ago #39066

gijoey1980 wrote:

That's a good looking root, however if you plan on replanting it you really need to get every single water (hair) root that you can. If many of the small water roots break off then the chances of survival after transplanting is much lower. Almost has the shape of a man root too!!

I already replanted everything that I dug so hopefully they will be good. The soil was loose enough I did most of the digging with my hands. That particular root was growing under a tree root so it was a little tougher to get out but I feel like I was pretty careful with it.

Im relocating these plants so ill be able to somewhat protect them and grow the wild population as well as wild sim in other areas.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 506 guests and no members online

Login