2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: how much ginseng lays dormant every year

how much ginseng lays dormant every year 8 years 8 months ago #36506

I was just wondering how much ginseng just lies dormant in an given year. If you dig in a certain area one year, is it worth it to go dig there the next year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:how much ginseng lays dormant every year 8 years 8 months ago #36511

It's always good to go back if possible to at least bury the berries! You always miss something, but how much do you want to deplete an area? You'll have to answer that.

Re:how much ginseng lays dormant every year 8 years 8 months ago #36536

It's a good question. I know old timers that say a lot of it lays dormant in any given year. I've heard some say it only comes up every other year and heard some say the root still grows and even better during a dormant year. I find that hard to swollow-how the root would grow in a year that it wasn't being fed sunlight and nutrients from a top. From my own personal observations, I've never been convinced much if any actually lays dormant with out sending up a top in the spring. What I do believe, is a tremendous amount gets broke or grazed off early in the year and once it looses it's top in a year, it won't shoot up a new one till the next year. I feel it's a fragile top, compared to many other woodland plants and when one thinks of all the critters that have scavenged through the woods, both animals that would like to munch on a top and just flat footed clumsy animals, that step on it and break it, by the time we are out looking for it, it has been up over 4 months and a bunch of it has lost it's top for the year. Of course that's just my observations and theories for a plant I still find to be somewhat mysterious and I too would love to hear others opinions on the subject!

Re:how much ginseng lays dormant every year 8 years 8 months ago #36545

Welcome to the forum, Hound!

IMHO, what lies dormant is influenced by a variety of conditions. Drought, and predation... Just a few of the influences that may cause a plant to go dormant.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 562 guests and no members online

Login