2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: It's up!!!

It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3503

Saw a few plants for the first time this past Friday. Anybody else finding any or even looking?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3504

Saw the first sprouts a couple of weeks ago in central Kentucky. Where are you?

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3508

we found a few today here in southern IL. also seen a big ass rattle snake 6-7 rattle's.

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3510

I live in Ohio. It doesn't usually sprout until the first part of May, so I hadn't even looked for any until the other day. It's been such a warm spring everything is growing a little ahead of it's normal schedule.

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3511

LOL....We had a foot of snow last week here in the Vermont mountains. I did look this past weekend where I know there is some and it's not up yet.

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3515

While out Morel Hunting I found ALOT of it. Growth depended on the areas it was growing. Some plants were already big, and others just rolling out their leaves. Found one area that should be great digging this fall!

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3526

I've seen several 3 and four prongers. started noticing really big plants around april 20th. my wild simulated came up around the same time and is already 8-12 inches tall. was really worried about the lack of rain here in indiana, but it seems to be as good as any other year.

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3528

Look out for a good diggin fall here in Southern Indiana. It will have berries on it before you know it.Yellow root looks better this year than last also. Hopefully will get good rains this summer!

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3531

I live here in S. Indiana and where I'm at we had a terrible morel season. I think its because of the lack of rain. Will the lack of rain hurt the seng comin up?? any thoughts would be apreciated

Re:It's up!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3532

Bird Nerd, mushrooms are unlike plants. The timing of the rains are crucial for mushroom growth. If the rains don't happen when the ground and air temps. are right it REALLY hurts the mushroom season. Morels have a smaller range of these than most of the others, this is why the Morel Season was poor in many locations this past season. Anyhow, the answer is NO, the Ginseng will still come up and I have found MANY plants already this year in southern Indiana. I will add that if there is a drought later in the year that it can and will cause an early top dropping of plants. This happened a few seasons ago and caused the price of Ginseng to skyrocket. I dug a few plants on the opener that season to show a friend what it was and how to harvest it. After that I chose not to dig as it would have been less productive than regular seasons and didn't think it would have been worth my time. After seeing what the prices got up to for roots I kicked myself in the butt for making that decision, LOL. Get out there and take a look around and I'm SURE you will find some plants. Good luck to you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 511 guests and no members online

Login