2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Hello Everybody

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 10 months ago #3497

Congrats on you and your brothers turkey hunt shroomy!!! I was out this morning with a very good friend of mine. Long story short he ended up missing a bearded hen so we decided to salvage the day by finding a few shrooms. My buddy also found a pretty decent shed.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 10 months ago #3500

hey beautiful pics everyone especially shroomy. Billy don't feel bad either up here in pike county same story few here and their. The most we fount was 23 and everyone said that was great for this year. And i also agree it was the weather it was just too dry for the shrooms. Trust me i have fought enoough fire to kill someone. One of the worst fire seasons i have seen since i have been a Ranger. Really havent' had time to do much of nothing with working so many days. This is the first year i havn't been turkey hunting since i was probably 8. Also billy my seeds from last year are doing excellent probably had 90% germination. I will try and post some pics later. Anyways can't wait to get out the old mattic.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 10 months ago #3513

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the photos.Congrats on the finds 5Prong. Took a friend out yesterday to go after a bird and he harvested a dandy one. 10 1/2\" beard, 24 lbs., and 28 mm spurs. He had a crack at a bigger bird but he just didn't anchor it.`Pretty crazy how everything unfolded and figured I'd share a short version.
We were set-up in a brushy draw that seperates two fields. We had multiple birds in fron of us and a dandy bird broke and was coming our way. I was trying to keep track of all the birds which was hard to do. Didn't want one coming up on us and seeing us and spooking the others. I was watching the longbeard approach when I lost view of him in a dip in the field. Seconds later I whispered to my friend that he was still out a good 100 yrds. That's when a head popped up in front of us not 40 yrds out. The bird kept coming and I was whispering to him to get ready to shoot it. But he still hadn't seen it. 30 yrds., 20 yrds. 15 yrds. and still he couldn't see it! The bird gets within 7 or so yrds. of us and he gets nervous. As he starts to walk away I tell my friend to sit up and take a shot if possible. He sits up quick, the bird flushes and he doesn't take the shot. Disappointed I ask him why he didn't just shoot it as it was hovering, and he said he couldn't get a good headshot. I told him that he should have just body shot the bird as it was well within range and it would have broke him down if not killed him. Anyhow I look at my watch and we have 40 minutes or so of legal shooting time and then my friend was to pack up and leave out of state to work and not be back until after season was closed. I dropped my head and thought \"it's all over, no bird for him this season\". That's when I hear a bird to our right \"putting\". I glance over and see the bird approaching us. I couldn't believe it!! I whisper to watch the right and get ready to shoot. Peering through the weeds affected my depth perception but I could see another bird coming in from behind the lead bird. With the lead bird in what I thought was gun range I whisper to him that I'm not 100% sure if the lead bird is within range but he was worth shooting if he got the chance. I whisper to him to ease up slowly and shoot if the bird was within what he thought was gun range as I didn't want to move. He eased up I heard the \"boom\" and watched the bird flip backwards. I was excited for him to say the least as I really had no hope after the first bird spooked. I congratulated him and gave him a handshake. We quickly headed to the check-in station, checked the bird in, skinned it out, stored the meat, beard, and spurs. Then loaded his truck for his work trip out of town. We will celebrate when he returns and may even head north to MI. to do some Morel picking. And here is the bird.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 10 months ago #3519

Sounds like a very exciting and clearly rewarding hunt! Congrats!!!!!!

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 10 months ago #3533

Thanks 5prong, it wasn't a typical hunt that's for sure.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 9 months ago #4028

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Shroomy those are very nice picks and congrats on some fine morcels to eat.

HillBilly I herd that they just didnt do well this season around us and I do agree that the weather played a great part in that.I am with you on I cant wait to get my digger out lol it is getting closer,I look forward to the return of season every year as a kid loves a new bag of candy :)

5prong I hope you and myself find a nice 5 prong this season I have ony found one in my life.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 756 guests and no members online

Login