2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Hello Everybody

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3428

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I havent got ot go yet ive been so busy ,but I plan to go out this evening after church and Easter dinner to my favorite spot to begin looking and see if they are up,man am I craving a bunch lol..........

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3430

you're probably right shroomy. I've only ever found blacks in one very specific area whereas I seem to find the half-free and yellow ones all over. On that hilside where I find the blacks they don't ever start popping up until about the 20th of April. When I've found the dog-peckers before that it has been in different areas while turkey hunting. I also find some that we call grays, I'm not sure about the terminology, but thats what we call them. I don't usually find very many of these.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3433

Billy did you get to go out? If so what did it look like, how did you do? 5prong I'm going to guess that the blacks are in a hollow or north, west, northwest hill? What people call Greys vary in different parts of the country, I have seen angusticeps (blacks), esculenta (type of grey/yellow), and delicosa (another type of grey/yellow) all called greys. That's the reason that when I'm talking to most people I go by their scientific names. So there is no confusion. I didn't ge to make it out today, but hope to get out tomorrow. Rain in the forecast and I hope we get a soaker. Keep me posted and I'll do the same. Good luck guys!

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3436

• 5prong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes Shroomy, those blacks are found on a west facing slope. Maybe just slightly NW but mainly west facing. As far as the greys, I don't have a clue about the scientific name, but most of the ones I've seen have less prominent and slightly rounded ridges, and the ridges seem closer together. Any Idea from the description which ones these are?

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3438

5 prong it's hard to say by that description, could be any of them really. When young/fresh they all will have closed pits and rounded edges. The pits will become more defined as they mature and the ridges become thinner. I am going to guess Esculenta though. You have any photos by chance? Here are a few from today.
Here are comparison pix from the tiny black pic I posted the other day on the 1st, and the one I took today on the 5th.

the ridges are rounded and pits closed.

the pits are opening and the ridges thinning, and darkening. After blacks have been up awhile they are alot easier to see for most people.

a fairly fresh black with closed pits and light colored ridges that haven't been exposed to the sun and wind for long

an older black with darkening ridges, yet still fresh. I left all of the ones I found today and will let them mature more before picking.
I also found this, a false morel (Gyromitra)

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3439

Shroomy, I had some pics on my cell phone a couple of years ago but lost that phone to a deep holler while sangin last fall. went back the next day, but couldn't locate it. I think the greys I find must be of the grey/yellow variety as I don't ever recall finding them until the yellow ones start popping up. I guess I should have described them as having shallower pits, but definately morrels, not the false ones as I have run across a few of them also. Hopefully I can find some and get some pics on here in a few weeks. With the unusually warm weather we've had the past week maybe they will start a little early this year. From what I've noticed in the past The starting time doesn't change a whole lot, but the numbers change dramtically depending on conditons. I'm hoping for rain at night and highs in the 80's during the day. We've had the 80's, but not much rain lately.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3440

yeah I understood that much from your description .... here is an Esculenta .... and here is a Deliciosa

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3442

Found these today.

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3444

I've been watching for photos and reports. What's happening in yall's areas? They are up here, I'm going out this eve to check some spots, and will more than likely hunt tomorrow as well.

The one I left to grow is doing well, but the stem is getting some discoloration which is a sign it is going downhill already :(

Re:Hello Everybody 13 years 11 months ago #3446

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys no luck here yet me and 2 other friends in my area that hunt morels are 0 so far there not up,it has got to be any day now........grrrrrr

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 857 guests and no members online

Login