2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pinched off tops

Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31514

When you guys pinch off the tops of the smaller plants, are the leaves worth drying out?? Found some younger plants in a a new area .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31515

Depends on your state's laws. Here in Ohio, I normally pinch the tops just before Sept 1. Even the smaller tops have gensenocides in them from my understanding.

Re:Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31516

If you like green tea, you can dry the tops put them in a cardboard box or paper sack, it will take a about 2 thousand small plants to fill up one of those small plastic shoppin bags.When i work alot and start to feel run down i will usually make some and have a couple cups, just to get me to feeling better.

Re:Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31520

How do you go about making your green tea

Re:Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31523

TN.Ginsenger wrote:

How do you go about making your green tea

the easiest way that i have found to make tea is to put the ginseng in a pot of about a quart, water and boil for about 10 minutes, then strain out the leaves Then you will have to experiment from there as to how strong or mild you want the taste to be. most likely the tea will be dark and bitter, by adding water to the tea you can get the almost exact taste of most other green teas.
After you find the strength and flavor you like, simply look at the color of the tea then the next time you make it you will know by the color of the tea when you have the flavor you like.

it only takes about 6-8 tops to make it.
I make my tea to about the same color as lipton citrus green tea that you can buy at most any store.
hope that helps

Re:Pinched off tops 9 years 6 months ago #31558

I save the tops and tie them by the stems, hang upside down in an open air shed to dry. Makes a nice cup 'O tea on a cold winter day. I like to add some mountain tea leaves to the mix.
There is also a market for the tops, was quoted 50 dollars/lb last year... takes a whole lotta tops to make a dry pound!

Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 339 guests and no members online

Login