2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: The reason we dig!!!!

The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30881

I've been hunting 'seng about 30 years now, and found three big 4 prongs today that reminded me why I climb up and down these steep mountains all the time. I was crossing a holler and going to the next ridge on a steep mountain and had to go through a laurel thicket I would have never imagined there being in ginseng in. It got so thick I had to crawl and just happened to look up and see a big pod of red berries staring at me about 10 yards away. I really had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but after crawling over to them, I ended up finding these three big 4 prongers. After counting the stem scars, all are about 25-28 years old. I've found a few roots in the past as big as these, but never within 3 feet of each other. It was one of those moments I just had to sit there and admire them for 30 minutes before I ever broke soil. I've dug that mountain all my life(since I was 6 years old with my dad) and we've never thought to look in those laurels. I didn't bring home a lot of 'seng today, but the one's that I did I will remember forever. These are trophies for sure! Hope you enjoy the pics and good luck the rest of the season!! My season was made today!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30882

Jason,

That is some absolutely gorgeous looking sang. Good luck to you for the rest of your season!

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30885

Very nice Jason.if possible can u post the weight of the big one. Thxs for sharing

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30888

Laurel bed seng! Nice

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30889

That's some nice big ginseng, love finding them big ones

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30890

very nice roots man. also love those big tops!

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30895

Oh man...

That would sure make my season too.

Congrats on some real trophy tops and roots !

TNhunter

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30896

I don't have any scales handy Hobler, but I could probably stick them on my reloading scales and convert the grains to ounces...I'm curious myself.

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30898

Apparantly there's 437.5 grains in an ounce...Gotta love Google! LOL

Re:The reason we dig!!!! 9 years 6 months ago #30926

Very nice roots. Those stems are really long compared to plants in my area. I wonder if they grew long trying to find the sun.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 330 guests and no members online

Login