2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Ginseng

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #30422

laytoncae wrote:

Yeah, I'm bummed. There is probably about 4x as much 2 prong and 1 prong roots that I'm going to have to leave.

I don't know all of the rules in Ohio but I am sure that Brad (BCastle) can advise you. I guess it depends upon whether you have registered as a Ginseng Grower or not. However, since you planted the seeds and they are your' plants, I think you would have every right to dig up even the 1 prong (flat tops here in Tennessee) plants and 2 prong plants and replant them to a location you have or will secure. I could be wrong but if they were my' plants and roots, I would sure as hell do what I had to do to keep them and plant them where my' crops would continue!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #30773

I did some digging in my emails. I spent a total of $76 on 1lb of seed which these roots grew from in 2009. I'm looking at around 4lbs dry root. I'd say the investment turned out well.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #30814

Sorry I missed that question about the younger plants.

That seems to be a really grey area to me. If the property is yours, the plants thereon are yours also. If you are not harvesting...but rather moving/transplanting them to a new area, I think you would have a strong case if you were get pinched. But, you might have to defend that citation in court.

I think the best thing to do would be to contact your local game protector and see how he looks at the issue.

From my perspective I don't think you would be doing anything wrong, even though you might be technically in violation.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #30908

laytoncay..

Looks like those roots are good sized to me for the age.

They are very similar in shape.. not all but the majority look similar.

Just wondering what type of soil you are growing in. Would you describe it as rich and loamy, soft soil ?

I would think if you had the old rocky soil like I have here, the roots would be more forked, and more true wild looking.

No doubt you did good for what you had invested. Too bad you had to pull them a little earlier than ideal.

TNhunter

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 7 months ago #31201

Yeah the soil is pretty rich and soft. Was planted on the edge of the woods right below the mow line.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 348 guests and no members online

Login