2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Ginseng

Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30174

Harvested with a buddy on the first day...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30175

Attachments:

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30177

That's a good day.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30197

Sweet nice digging

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30205

Thats alot of sang,
I did notice that it dont have much neck. All looks about the same age as well. Is that wild-simulated. Some of it looks like it might not be legal. Maybe its just the picture.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30206

K_duce wrote:

Thats alot of sang,
I did notice that it dont have much neck. All looks about the same age as well. Is that wild-simulated. Some of it looks like it might not be legal. Maybe its just the picture.

I was thinking the same thing.

rootman

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30211

How can you tell that it is not legal from the pictures? Ohio law states that it has to have had 3 prongs, which it did.

It is wild simulated, sorry If I posted in the wrong forum. Planted about 5 years ago.

Just Curious, want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Thanks.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30215

laytoncae,

I don't think anyone is trying to get on your case there. Just pointing out that there is a vast difference in this day and age in finding that many wild plants in a day vs. digging a patch of wild sim in a day.

I would recommend you to let your patches go about 10 years or so before digging them and then only dig the largest of the roots. This way, you will always have large, high quality ginseng to dig, and the age classes will be mixed.'

The thing I first noticed was all the root hair on those roots. This is often a sign of ginseng that has had amendments or fertilizer. The lack of age will likely hurt you when you try to sell these roots. Best of luck with them.

And, as for legality, here in Ohio we do not at this point have an age restriction (though it may be coming soon). But, in some other states a plant must show evidence of a certain age (regardless of its actual known age). Some of those look lacking in the neck which would cause legality issues for dealers in some states.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30218

Thanks for the response. I know the guys werent trying to jump on me. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt breaking Ohio law as that could turn out pretty costly for me.

I've done nothing to the roots other than raking the leaves back and dropping seeds and recovering with leaves.

I wish I could let the plants grow 10 years, but selling the property soon and I have a lot of money wrapped up in seeds.

Re:Ohio Ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30219

I understand your perspective. I'd likely do the same thing if I couldn't transplant them to a new location to continue growing. Even then, roots that are transplanted are often considered pick out if they are not transplanted correctly.

As long as they were all at least 3s, you are good with Ohio law.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 336 guests and no members online

Login