2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prime ginseng habitat.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 9 months ago #28986

Appreciate the help guys. I'll have to check out those vids. I figured out what was going wrong the other day while scouting... I didn't have very good trees around lots of oaks around instead of poplars and maples. Also in the other couple ares there was more larger saplings then trees, (15-25ft tall or so) even though a lot were poplar, I'm under the impression large mature poplars, maples, and beech is what I should be looking for? Once again thanks for the help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 9 months ago #28993

sangrupt,
Two understory trees I like are sassafras and spicebush. Especially spicebush. When I find spicebush in the woods it's a great indicator.

www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Spicebush.html

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 9 months ago #29067

Another fact I've found, sometimes you are in the perfect location and for whatever reason, there is no ginseng growing. I've been in areas that had every companion plant imaginable, perfect shade, perfect soil, perfect shade trees, but no seng.

So I planted a few seeds and I'll check back in a year or 2.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 9 months ago #29076

Mortis, Been in the same predicament. You keep looking and looking and nothing. I always suspect areas like that were over dug at some point. I bet those seeds you planted will do great. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
Latt

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #29189

My biggest problem lately is the loggers are going crazy around here. Timber value is up, and everyone is clear cutting the forest. I've lost probably 10+ of my nice hunting grounds.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #29246

I planted seeds/berries in an area that looked perfect but had no seng about 5-7 years ago. They are all coming up nicely. Looks like there are a number with berries this year.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #29252

Just keep in mind that ginseng has been eliminated from many of the habitats that it once thrived in, be it by deer, over harvest, or land use. So you will find a lot of \"good habitat\" with little to no ginseng.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #29282

Latt wrote:

sangrupt,
Two understory trees I like are sassafras and spicebush. Especially spicebush. When I find spicebush in the woods it's a great indicator.

www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Spicebush.html

Good luck,
Latt

it's always interesting to see what plants people associate with ginseng, sassafras, I've often associated that with sour soil.
Around here in my part of western Pa black cohosh is 'the' plant. along with the tree ,poplar

it's funny I don't see much maidenhair around here, only a little bit once and while so I don't really associate it with sang.
Someone said in the other thread about blue cohosh being a good plant to see, for some reason it's almost a downer to see it around here, like maybe it's crowding out the sang. This year I've started scouting in a new area I've never been in before, only about 10 miles from where I've always hunted it and I haven't seen one blue cohosh plant all summer where as it was a common plant in my old hunting area.
I call this new area \"extra sweet\" as in the soil, I've never seen so much sang growing on western and southern exposures

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 8 years 10 months ago #35634

I went on a scouting trip yesterday and found some sang for the first time!

I only saw two 3 prongs but both of them were surrounded by hog peanut and had rattle snake fern very close to it as well.

I also saw some MHF for first time... exciting stuff lol. I knew if i stuck with it i could find some.

Thanks for all the help!

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 8 years 10 months ago #35635

I went on a scouting trip yesterday and found some sang for the first time!

I only saw two 3 prongs but both of them were surrounded by hog peanut and had rattle snake fern very close to it as well.

I also saw some MHF for first time... exciting stuff lol. I knew if i stuck with it i could find some.

Thanks for all the help!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 316 guests and no members online

Login