2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prime ginseng habitat.

Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28917

First ginseng scout attempt in central western va. went poorly today. I'm looking for some tips on sang location trates.
I searched 3 dif spots today. The first was a steep hill (probably 60 degree angle) on a mountainside lots of large rocks and boulder. I went about 1/4 a mile up keeping my eyes out for \"good weeds\". I noticed some rattlesnake fern and searched thoroughly around them thoroughly to no prevail. I turned back after going side to side on the way up and scouting out the location pretty decently in my opinion.
The next spot was a lot flatter still good foliage over head. I searched down a small decline( side to side agin) into a creek and up the other side of the creek but didn't see any sign of good weeds. I did find a large patch of mountain laurel shrubbery, don't t think that really matters but thought I'd share anyway. The soil type was darker brown with much fewer rocks if any.
The finale spot I searched I drove up a different mountain side. First thing I saw a black cohosh and searched hardily near that to no prevail. It seemed to me a small stream was running adjacent to the path. I broke off the path and and walked parallel to the stream and path eventually crossing as i approached a hillside. I climbed the hill (approximately 45 degree angle) till I reached a small plateau. I crested the hill and went down the other side into a hollow with another creek running through it. I crossed the creek and searched up the neighboring hill with no luck.
Any tips on great sang habitat trates would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28918

try north facing hillsides or deep hollows with poplar or mapel or some other hard wood the rich weedy places with lots of ground cover should be a great starting point if you find black cohosh or maidenhair ferns almost always grow only were ginseng does also if you find any ginseng mark the spot then circle in ever widening circles or walk in lines back and forth slowly covering the entire area good luck.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28920

Thanks for the tips Leebros. Are you sang'n in va?

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28921

Back to the trip... I did see PLENTY of small ferns, they were all over the place. Maidenhair fern is special due to the U shape it grows in and that two opposite stems grow the branches or fern blades?
Or have I been mislead on my info on ferns:blink:

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28925

eastern ky, maidenhair looks a little like curly hair on a girls head it grows on a single stem blueish green in color or it can grow in clumps of many stems

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28946

Here is a pic oh mh fern for u
Attachments:

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28951

Sweet thanks for the pic and info guys. Do you have any more info on terrain sang likes hobbler? I was on a north facing hill, probably 50 degrees or so, the other day after my original post but still no luck.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28961

Sangrupt
This is what I look for when hunting shang. Take in mind Ilive in nNY. But most will help u out. Here I find shang facing all directions. I don't have to many MTS around so I look for hardwood ridges with mostly maples with a elevation of 300 ft up to the highest I've been so far at 1200 ft. The steepness of the ridge don't matter I've found it on very steep to flat ground. I like bowls n valleys best on the ridges it seems to grow thicker there n on flat ground I like to check the onens with little bumps n knobs some of these bumbs can b only 2 ft high n bigger. After I find that its ground cover next the 4 I like to c is mh fern, blue cohosh, dolls eye, n leeks. Now blood root n jack n puplit r good too. There is a thread here about best companion plants. I hope this helps u. Also check out you tube look for tnhunters videos he shows u a lot and is full of knowledge also look into billy talory video's. This site is full of great people who know tons and r helpfull.just remember to respect mother nature. Good luck to u.

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28976

Here is a youtube vid that shows some maiden hair fern, hog peanut, and a 4 pronger not too far from my home.

Where I find MHF I look extra hard because I know it could be there. That hog peanut vine is also a good indicator plant - especially when you see it growing nice and thick and healthy looking.

If you watch some of my videos on youtube or Billy's (ginsenghunter1 on youtube) you will see some good ginseng location traits.

TNhunter

Re:Prime ginseng habitat. 9 years 8 months ago #28978

Welcome to the forum!

There's lotsa guys here that are really good a spotting good habitat. Read, and learn!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 299 guests and no members online

Login