2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line.

Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25969

I was hoping to go in yesterday and confirm that it was ok for me to hang up my digger until next year. I can't stand the thought of one more big root out there to be dug by the poacher I've met or the fact that I missed a good one. Anyway, it was cool and drizzling when I got off work and the fog was heavy up on the big mountain so I decided to hit a place a lil closer to home yesterday. I had about an 1 hour of daylight to hunt and wanted to maximize the time I had to look. Well I dug a good bunch of seng with the biggest root being 2 oz. I didn't weigh the whole lot, just the biggest root. It's the biggest root in the pic. Boy that sounds obvious.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25970

Here's the top off of the big root in the upper right hand corner in the previous picture.
Attachments:

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25973

Not bad at all for 1 hr. my friend! I only got 9 bunches yesterday.

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25975

I don't know why this thing keeps double posting but yea I got pretty lucky yesterday. It just keeps the fever going when you keep finding it and I know it has to come to an end someday. I'm just waiting on that empty trip to confirm the sadness.

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25976

Nice big root and roots bud.
Latt

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25982

Thanks Latt. I've been pretty lucky this year.

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #25998

GibsonGranada... Congrats on some nice roots in such a short time to hunt! I hope you keep that digger out for just a little while longer, who knows, you might find a 6 prong or bigger plant.

Frank

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #26012

Nice looking roots friend. Went 4 a couple hours today dug about 15 some small but most big 3s and 4s! As always the strong are surviving, i'm going til i cant find n e!

Re:Not as impressive as RickyC's root but same story line. 10 years 5 months ago #26028

That was my plan but too. Hunt til theres not even a stalk to spot but man this weather has took a bad turn here at the foot of Pine Mountain. I live in Jenkins, KY and its right at the bottom of the mountain and the last couple of days have been in the 30's and 40's. We've had a few heavy frosts and what seng hasn't turned brittle is covered by all of the new leaf fall. It is getting harder and harder to find but it makes me want to look even more. I dug unp until halloween last year and into November the year before but I believe this season is gonna be over very soon. Atleast I can get the worries of the poacher out of my mind as soon as I'm convinced that there's none left out there to spot. Anyway, for those who are still digging, I envy you. I'm glad we've all had a good year. I don't have a whole lot of time to dig with work and all but I'm fortunate to have a job so I don't complain. My goal was to dig a solid dry pound of seng (which is a task around home because of all the mountain top removal mining and the out of work coal miners trying to make ends meet) but this year I have closer to two dry pounds with some really good roots. I do it for the thrill and not for the income so anything over a pound is a bonus for me. All I dug were legal plants but a lot of bigger stuff for this neck of the woods that truly come from the mountain. I have some really big plants in an old protected patch that my great uncle started years ago but I can't bring myself to dig them. Well, I've typed a novel here but I enjoy talking about seng like the rest of you. Only 11 more months til we start again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

Login