2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: just a tip for some that dont know

just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23814

Jewelweed or waterweed as I call it, grab some and put it in your pouch. When the ol stinging nettle bite you rub the ol waterweed juice on it, ahh feels better now...B)

Any tips out there?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23820

Its good for treating poison ivy & oak also.

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23821

GMCPaul wrote:

X2

Heres another one for the guys that dont live too far south.....
Take the leaves from spice bush and crush them up to rub on your body for a pretty good mosquito repellent. It doesnt help much with those darn horse flies though:angry:

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23822

Pic of Jewel Weed in case some don't know what it looks like.

I collet it and wipe my hands and arms in it occasionally to cut the poison ivy or any time I realize I have brushed up against some... I pull it out crush some juice out and wipe that area down.

I have heard that it is good for all kinds of stings, even bee stings, yellow jackets, etc...

In the pic below you can see why it is called jewell weed. A little water on it and it sparkles real pretty.

TNhunter

Will also mention one that I have seen Billy do in his video's.

Chew up the ginseng stalk, get the juice out and swallow it. Gives a little pick up when you are about zapped from all the hillside walking and from toating that big heavy bag full of ginseng :-)
Attachments:

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23826

5prong,
interesting you said that about spice bush. Got stuck out in the woods one day many years ago and did some trial and error with rubbing different plants on me for mosquito repellent. Spice bush did work pretty well.

Try some Sweet Cicily:

www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/SweetCic...Aniseroot_080102.htm

It works well for about 10 to 15 minutes or so then you have to reapply. I just take a big bunch of it and wad it up too and rub it all over my face, neck and arms etc. It smells like just like licorice. It's a plant that typically is easy to find in most woods around here in Ohio. It will get you by if you forget your spray but I would not use it in lieu of bug your deep woods off or cutter spray etc

Nice Jewell weed pics TN. This stuff is magical in my opinion. Works great like you guys have stated. Use it all the time.

Latt

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23827

5prong wrote:

GMCPaul wrote:

X2

Heres another one for the guys that dont live too far south.....
Take the leaves from spice bush and crush them up to rub on your body for a pretty good mosquito repellent. It doesnt help much with those darn horse flies though:angry:

Don't ya just love them horse flies...The spice bush, is this the one with red berries on it that I call spicewoods

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23829

And Spice bush is a great indicator for soil that works well for ginseng. When I find spice bush in a woods I always feel it increases my chances for finding ginseng.

Latt

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23830

Spice bush does have red berries in late summer and early fall. The leaves have a citrus smell to them.

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23832

Jewel weed is also excellent for sunburn ;)

Re:just a tip for some that dont know 10 years 6 months ago #23843

They say wild ginger works for mosquitos...doesnt seem to for me...the jewelweeds are plentiful and bright right now...they enjoyed all that rain..gonna have to try that cicily.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 305 guests and no members online

Login