2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: No Ginseng season for me and others in NC

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23384

Frank-

YOur are correct in your observations.

I had the opportunity to ask a NC official for an intrepretation of the 2011 law changes, last dec. This fella didn't seem to be up on the revisions much. When I began quoting him as to the law, He didn't have too much to say... I even went up to him after the panel discussion to talk with him, and he seemed to be ... inconclusive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23386

Its kinda strange that they don't seem to know the laws. I have spoken with several county law men and they seemed surprised that its illegal to dig out of season or without written permission from the land owner. I don't dig in the nf just on private owned land. Truthfully this area is so vast sometimes im not sure if im still on the folks I have permission to dig on. I probably wonder across land I don't know who owns from time to time.I have always been afraid I would get stopped by someone and accused of digging on them . Then get charged for something I didn't do. This year I have lost lots of property due to nc state purchasing 470+ acres that I formerly hunt and have been a good steward to over the years.I can still hunt 174 acres next to it but what if I come out of the woods on the parks land and get stopped by a ranger, You know he will book me for diggin on the park. This season is going to be rough.

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23396

This sounds like the begining of the end. Just like Canada did back in the late 80's. But it is for the best concidering the 1000 plus per pound price.
Soon I'll hear you guys supporting the wild simulated platform.

guy

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23397

refering to the law... You can bet though they sure know the price of a dozen crispy creams and two coffee's to go.

- eh Brad?

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23476

We in Wisconsin have not dug in the national forests for quite a few years now. Part of the problem is reduced logging and this sets the regeneration of ginseng back. I think the official position is they really don't give a dam. Deer numbers increasing is also more of a problem than the DNR realizes. Permit system sucks, I feel for you guys that have always looked forward to the time in the woods and a few extra bucks.

Re:No Ginseng season for me and others in NC 10 years 8 months ago #23480

On Friday, I wrote up my' request to be included in the Lottery selection for a Permit to harvest Ginseng in the North Cherokee National Forest. They said to submit a letter to the U.S. Forestry Office in Cleveland, TN which I did but they did not say that I could not give them a piece of my' mind in the letter and I did just that! Below, is a copy and paste of the letter that I submitted via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation Tracking Numbers so that they cannot say they did not receive my' letter. I did not go into a real rant which I often can do and I doubt that what I had to say will have any effect on future Ginseng Harvesting Seasons and rules in the Cherokee National Forests and doubt that they will even read it but we will see. Note: Some of the letter may be mis-aligned due to imcompatibility with the Forum software!

Frank

August 9, 2013

U.S. Forest Service
2800 Ocoee Street, North
Cleveland, TN 37312

Frank E. Ferrell
xxx x. xxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx Hwy
Jefferson City, TN 37760

Re: Ginseng Permit

Dear Sirs and/or Ladies,

I am writing you per your instructions concerning obtaining a Ginseng Permit for myself for the Ginseng Harvest Season (September 16th through September 30th) via the Lottery method and set down in the letter that your office sent to me. I am only interested in obtaining a permit for the North Cherokee National Forest which I understand only includes Cocke County in Tennessee this year! It is very doubtful that I will make a similar request due to the distance I must travel to harvest Ginseng in the National Forest near here but will wait to see what section is open next year to make that determination. As it is, the section I have scouted and hope to get a permit for this year, if I am selected to receive one, is a round trip of 112 miles to the section from my’ home and then back. Being only allowed 25 roots this year, means that I must travel to this location and dig my’ allotted 25 roots in one day, then travel back home. To take more than one day to harvest my’ allotted 25 roots, would not be cost effective due to the gas costs to get me there and back home!

My personal information for the permit is as follows:

Frank E. Ferrell
xxx x. xxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx Hwy
Jefferson City, TN 37760
Tel. (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Requested area: North Cherokee National Forest

I thank you for being allowed to submit my’ name for entry in the Ginseng Harvest Permit Lottery! It is my hopes that the USDA and the U.S. Forestry Division will revise the Ginseng Harvesting Program for the North and South Cherokee National Forests to something that is more amicable to all of those concerned. The Ginseng Diggers of Tennessee and elsewhere, are just as concerned as you all are of the decline of wild populations of Ginseng from the National Forests. Maybe you will seriously consider including us in any future decisions and programs, so that we can forge a program that will work for both interests!

Respectfully,

Frank E. Ferrell

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 720 guests and no members online

Login