2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Whats the biggest root you have ever found?

Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20240

Hey yall i just wanted to say that i found a root, ONE ROOT that weighted 6 ounces wet. For my first year digging thats pretty good. i just wanted to ask whats the biggest root that you guys have ever found.
Thanks -Jake

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20242

Today I found my biggest root havent weighed it yet but I love it.
Attachments:

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20256

You may have already read my earlier posting but if not, you can read the story at the following Thread link!

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...eng-Forum-Folks.html

When I was 17 years old, I dug an 8 prong that seemed like it weighed in close to 5 pounds. At least it felt that heavy to an ecstatic and pumped up 17 year old! It probably weighed much less but I have never dug anything since or even seen pics of anything even half the size of the root! It was humongus with 4 main forks off the main stem of the root below the bud and each of the forks were almost as big as my' wrists in diameter at their largest points. Where were cell phones with cameras or even digital cameras back then!

Frank

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20258

The biggest I've ever found in Ohio have gone about an ounce and a half, but last fall I got lucky and found one a little over two ounces while hunting with Billy in the mountains of KY. I'm heading out tomorrow with high hopes of breaking that record or finding another 5-prong. I was finding so many big 4-prongs in this area on sunday that I just have the feeling a true giant must be in there somewhere.... Guess I'll find out because I'm spending all day in that area starting at daybreak;)

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20276

Found it today 9-25-12 It weighs a little over 3 ounces it had 5 more around it that all together weighed 6 ounces.
Attachments:

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20318

I found this one a few years ago.
Attachments:

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20347

what would a 6 oz root be worth by itself.

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20362

Look at the 9 1/2oz root on ebay. 610.00 reserve not met!

Re:Whats the biggest root you have ever found? 11 years 6 months ago #20375

rickyc wrote:

Look at the 9 1/2oz root on ebay. 610.00 reserve not met!

That one on eBay is a big and really, really old gnarly root! Just think what it might look like and how big it would be, if it had came up on a regular basis and not suffered so much damage over it's many years of life. Although big and old, the appearance makes one think that there was some human intervention going on that was not stated! Take a close look at it and see if you agree. It appears more like a really, really old semi-cultivated root!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 369 guests and no members online

Login