2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ???

have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19614

Hi Guys,

First off, I appologize about the 8 photos of one root, but I can't seem to get a shot that represents how MAMMOTH this growth neck is. It measures 1.25\" wide at the widest part of the NECK !!! There are cirles of scars that seem to be very symetrical and have 8 scars on each ring (mind you this ring is 1 1/4\" wide). Root weighs over 2 oz. Sections of the neck have been broken off atleast 2 times in it's life, but keeps growing back. All the nubbins of scars total over 100, but is quite possibly older than that. Your thoughts on the neck symetry? or on the age? I cannot stop glowing about this root, biggest neck I've ever seen, wait til I post more pics of this batch!!!

Enjoy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19617

wow sure is a nice find for sure, i imagine most of us know how you feel. id be more than picture happy with that.. i cant shed any info on age or what not,

if you dont mind i know u took the pictures with the tape measure- but would you take another picture with an object beside it for reference.

im admiring that find too.good find indeed!

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19626

she's already back in the soil, it was about 1/4\" wider than a bic lighter

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19628

That's awesome Vt.!!! What a find. I think this is the fatest I've got. I didn't think to measure the neck cause the root was so big.

You making out ok? I'm getting there.I narrowed down a good spot to a smaller easy to hike area for tomorrow. Should be good. Are you finding many yellow plants yet. I ran into some shis week in drier areas. Good luck!
Attachments:

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19637

Geezum crow, look at the size of that root next to the banana !!! Both those are phenominal. Looks like we both are having an awesome year here in VT. I may have a buyer for green root, I'll send an email with details. Keep up the good work, you are one of the best diggers I know, that's why you get the best money for your roots

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19639

Hi That is a nice root.I have a few photos I would like to post but I seem to be having trouble getting started.I do not see any place were it says new topic?? any help out there would be great.thanks

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19640

Attachments:

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19642

dang guys, those are some huge seng roots. i have some 50+ plus year old roots- but i guess they dont grow as large here in indiana as you guys\"S states.

im glad you all post and share pictures, seeing those just drives me to keep searching. you all should be extremly proud and very greatfull towards mother earth to find such rare gems in my book.

thanks for the great pictures.

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19645

Vt, that pic was from a couple years ago. I think I showed you the pics before. I did have a few in that spot that were in the 10-15 yo range, so I'm leaving them for a few more years to see what happends to them. I seeded the area too.

Funny, it's on a west facing ledge, way at the top of the mountain. They are growing up out of some rock rubble, but there is some of that real soft black loam you can dig by hand. The plants were phenominal too............!

I might get lucky today. I'm going to a spot similar, where I found some beauties a couple days ago, not like those, but real good.
Attachments:

Re:have you ever seen a neck this HUGE ??? 11 years 7 months ago #19650

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
You could lay a nickle on this root curl and it was round as the nickle one of my most favorite roots of all i ever saw.

:)

Billy.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 443 guests and no members online

Login