2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Sister's First Seng Trip

My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1928

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • IdRatherBeSengin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have to share a little story with you guys that was hilarious. After 15 years of hunting seng I finally convinced my little sister to take a trip with me. She was of course worried about snakes and other little creepy crawlies so I told her not to worry that just being in the woods and seeing all they have to offer was worth a little risk. So we get to my hunting grounds just after the break of day. We made it about 30 yards up the first ridge and found a nice 3 prong. I told her to look above me while I dug the root. Reluctantly she moved about 10 yards above and, with much excitement, she yells I think I found one. So I pause long enough to stand up and look. Sure enough there was another nice three prong but that wasn't all. About 5 feet to her left was a rattler laying next to a log all coiled up but not making a sound. I calmly walked up behind her and said hey good job why dont you look back aroud where we found the first plant and so she statrted to move back down. I pulled out my little ruger 22 and shot the snake. Talk about somebody jumping out of their shoes. I have never taken a cussing from anyone like the one I got. I thought the trip would probably be over but she shook it off and we continued on eventhough she was never more than an arms link away from me for the rest of the day. I only wished I had remembered my camera because It was a great day. We found 40 three prongs and 5 nice 4 prongs in about a half acre area on that hillside. The rest of the day was a little slower but we managed to dig about 14 ounces. I have to say I am proud of my little sis who until that day had never been in the woods and is now looking forward to the next trip.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1931

THAT WAS A GOOD THING YOU DID FOR HER SHE WILL NEVER FORGET NOR WILL YOU AND THE TIME YOU SPEND WITH FAMILY IS PRICELESS I LOVE TO GET ANY OF MY KIN IN THE WOODS WITH ME HAPPY HUNTING

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1933

WELL WENT OUT TODAY AND TRYED TO BREAK MY NEW BOOTS IN BOY WAS THAT BAD MY FEET ARE KILLING ME BUT I DIDNT HAVE ANYMORE BOOTS LEFT ANYWAY GOT CAUGHT IN A RAIN STORM AND I JUST GAVE UP THEN AND HUNTED ANYWAY I WAS SOAKED BUT FOUND 6OZ AFTER ALL THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE A BAD DAY WHEN THE RAIN CAME BUT IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HUNT SANG RAIN OR SHINE

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1938

hey way to go on a dead rattler thats the only kind i like. I always wear my snake chaps when i am seng hunting

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1947

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Your'e right about that hillbilly. I didn't tell my sister but it spooked me a little to cuz you never know how many more are around. This one was probably a little over 3 feet long with 7 buttons. I have been pretty lucky about not running in to too many venomous snakes but when I do they seem to slow me down a little..lol.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1948

• IdRatherBeSengin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Glad you had a good trip coondog. People who don't hunt seng don't know how bad the mountains can wear you out especially in new boots. You know you have done some walking when you can squeeze a gallon of sweat out of your socks when your done. Anyway, a bad day of sengin is better than a good day at work.

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1950

i hate snakes when you find them you spend the rest of the day hunting snakes i was on white oak mnt 1 time 3yrs ago i had 3 walker pups with me and my nephew we was going up a old logging rd and the pups went off the side of the ridge so we stoped and was looking down this dark blue looking holler thinking it should be full of sang and my nephew started saying whats that sound i said ahhhh its them old jar flys or something ,i had never seen a rattler in the wild alive ????????he started holering there is a snake so he showed me where he was seeing this snake and man when i looked i almost ran this S.O.B was huge coiled up with about 12inch of his tail up in the air solid black tail and at that time all you could here was the rattlers in the woods it was a weird fealing he said lets get out of here i said hll no im killing him because i coonhunt all over that area so anyway i found what i thought was a good stick and went down after him and the first hit i stabbed him in the head and the stick broke oh SHT that snake was pissed and budddy could he reach out there i ran around there and found another stick and finely got the job done this snake was 5.4 inch lonh timber rattler and had 15 buttons on him when i skinned him out he was wider than a 2/8 board i told a guy at the local hunting store about the snake and he offerd me 100.00 dollars for the hide i told him i would be right back i went home took a pictur and sold the hide to him later i found out how dagerous a rattler is so if you cant shoot them i wouldnt take the chance in the wood you could die real quick from the bite if you cant get help with in the hour ,ill try to get a pic up for you all soon thanks all and good luck hunting

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1951

here is a pic i found in my photo book ,im 6ft so you can see this snake was bg
Attachments:

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1959

first thing my walker pup barked at was a snake...that one would make a nice hat band....

Re:My Sister's First Seng Trip 14 years 6 months ago #1988

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
That was a good story congrats on a good day and some great exspearence for little sis :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 506 guests and no members online

Login