2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: best list of companion plants

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 8 months ago #19104

Agree with ya all fellas. I really really like Spice Bush too. I find sang often in a woods where spice bush likes to dwell.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 8 months ago #19109

I always look for turkey sign and spice bush is it a coincidence that seng and spice bush both grow red berries I think not i also found seng around known turkey roosts

I have found some of the biggest roots on western facing slopes as long as there was spice bush in the area and a good population of turkey

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 8 months ago #19111

the hiker wrote:

I always look for turkey sign and spice bush is it a coincidence that seng and spice bush both grow red berries I think not i also found seng around known turkey roosts

I have found some of the biggest roots on western facing slopes as long as there was spice bush in the area and a good population of turkey

Hiker - That's an interesting observation about finding ginseng near turkey roosts. I never connected the dots, but I have to say that of several turkey roosting locations that I know of there is some seng nearby. Next spring I guess I just need to set up next to a seng patch to get my turkey:lol:

Honestly, this past spring I got my gobbler just 50 yards up the hill from my seed producing plants, but not until after some turkeys scratched around the area, knocking the tops off several freshly emerged seng plants:angry:

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 8 months ago #19113

You guys seem to have covered this pretty well. But, the companion plant that I most rely on is a Rattlesnake fern. I learned them as \"pointer ferns\".

Here is a picture from Oklahoma Biological Survey...

When I was learning to hunt ginseng, I was told that the stem in the center would fall over and point toward the ginseng. By fall, most of the spore producing stems are bent at an angle. However, by paying attention, I don't think that is correct. I have actually seen areas where the ferns will LEAN toward the ginseng depending on how old and big the plants are, and how many are there. I've actually seen the ferns around the plants leaning inward from all directions toward the ginseng.

Interesting...and something for the theory book if I even get time to document a bunch of this stuff.

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #19267

I also like to look for leaks a good many times the roots r rite under the leaks

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #19279

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys in my area I always look for many of the companions that you have mentioned and they are very good,but here is,
my 2 favorite places to get serious in my search.

No# -2 is around black walnut trees that are in dense woods and I love 1 more place better than that,but it is a close match,however my favorite no# 1 spot is a real dark moss area with old fallen trees and a cliff or many big rocks in a row like and just above the moist area find briar thickets under the cliff or rocks o boy thats terriotory to Billy.

It may seem odd to alot of diggers but that is my most desired areas,when I was younger I would climb trees at high points and scower the Mountians for these cliff lines.

I have a few and one is hands down the best spot that I have ever saw or dug in ever.

Billy.

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #19287

Billy, I know you and Tn often talk about large rock and bluffs and rocky ridge lines. I used to hunt a great spot (Western Face Too???) that was full of ginseng. I hunted the slope for a couple of seasons on and off. Then I moved up top where the cliffs were where it leveled off above the rocky cliffs with tons of large rocks the ginseng was growing like crazy.
More than a dozen were lodged down in the cracks and are still there to this day.
Beautiful site to see.
Latt

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #20087

Don't forget the Sarsaparilla guys. Also new sugar maple trees about a foot tall. That's what it likes here in VT.

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #20108

I have found seng under and around most of the companion plants that everyone has listed. However, I found some of the best patches of big 3 and 4 prongs growing amongst what we call Fire Nettles (don't know the scientific name). You practically have to stomp or cut the Fire Nettles down to get the seng, otherwise the plants will have you stinging, itching and scratching all day!:ohmy:

Frank

Re:best list of companion plants 11 years 7 months ago #20111

If your talking about what I'm thinking about everybody around here calls it stinging weed and it is also my favorite companion plant but it can really be tough to find it in amongst it. Seems like if you can find it in stinging weed though they are huge plants and roots, some places i go the stinging weed will be chest high and will sting and itch you to death like you said, it can be frustrating to hunt in.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 256 guests and no members online

Login