2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 5 prong

5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #189

• Hung Lo
  • Hung Lo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
any of you ever seen a 5 prong plant? its not to be confused with the number of leaves on each prong. about 8 years ago my father found one. i have not seen another one, ever. just curious if anyone else has seen or found one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #192

• les
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,,Yes ive seen several, my Grandfather found several in his years of hunting, I have found three five Prongs & one six Prong, im 54 years old & have been hunting ginseng since my teen years. the six prong Root weighed 2 1/2 Oz. the Stalk itself was stunted only about 8\" tall, but the stem of the Plant was huge were it entered the ground, I pressed it between two pieces of glass to preserve,but , didnt seal the edges up,,so, it turned brown & fell apart ,but not before dozens of other fellow hunters seen it
Les

Re:5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #213

I have but not that many..

Re:5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #314

I have found 1 5-prong plant. The root was only about 11 years old.

The plant itself was a little under knee high. I think that 3 of the five prongs had only three leaves on them, and the other two have four leaves or vice-versa.

I pressed and dried the top and it is a beautiful golden color, in a picture frame, hanging on my wall.

Sometime I will try to take a picture of it and post it for you.

Re:5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #315

Saw 3 of em in Southern Minnesota back in about '91,,,it was my second year of hunting,,,wasn't even sure they were Ginseng when I first spotted them! They were about knee high,,had a full clump of berrys,,,planted all the berrys and nothing has ever come up at that spot? But it is still the highlite of my digging career!!

Re:5 prong 15 years 6 months ago #316

them would be some nice ones.....

Re:5 prong 15 years 5 months ago #491

I found another five prong yesterday (second one in my life). The plant was slightly above average in height compared to the other four prongs I was digging. The main four prongs all had (or at one time had all their leaves. Bugs had been eating on it) five leaves on the prongs, the 5th had four leaves and was slightly smaller than the rest. The root was average to slightly above average compared to the four prongs I had been digging. The roots age was somewhere around 12 years. Five-prongs just seem to be a freak of nature as the biggest plant and best root I dug yesterday was a large four-prong only about 15 yards away.

Re:5 prong 15 years 5 months ago #732

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
HungLo I found my 1st one this season I will post my pic for you.The root was just under 2 ounces wet.
Attachments:

Re:5 prong 14 years 11 months ago #1212

• riverrat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
i dug some six prongs in wv. wyoming county.

Re:5 prong 14 years 10 months ago #1278

I found approx. 15 to 20 last year and they were huge first ones i have found in about fifteen years.Got permission to hunt seng on a thousand acres of private in south central missouri andgot very lucky indeed.The seng was like nothing ive ever seen

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 672 guests and no members online

Login