2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: plant identification

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2628

Yes Billy, ours is pretty much gone I took that pic while looking for some mushrooms yesterday. That is about as green as any of our sang is now. I also saw a few that were brown and laying flat on the ground,but didn't take any pics because it would be too hard to see. parts of Ohio are probably better. Seems like every time rain comes through its 50 miles east, west, north, or south of me. My county is probably one of the driest in the state. We got just a little rain tuesday, but not enough to pop up those fall shrooms yet.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2639

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Herd that 5 im very interested in the other shrooms that are eatable,the only one ive ever harvested are the morrels,i gotta try the fall shrooms.

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2646

5, i don't think its much better in northern ohio, talked to a guy that i coonhunt and train dogs for up around Defiance, ohio...dry as a bone, sang was about gone up there..... Billy if you like the morels you would like the hen's ...i find most of my hen's around dead oak tree's... the chantrells can be anywhere...

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2656

Finaly got a little rain here last night. Only about a fourth of an inch, but thats more than we've had in a couple of months. Calling for more tomorrow and lower temps the start of next week. Billy, Those hens are a good mushroom to start looking for as it is pretty easy to identify. There are only a couple of other mushrooms that look anything like it and they are edible too. Chantrells are realy good, but some shrooms that look similar can really make you sick. Just be careful. Theres also one we call chicken mushrooms that are easy to ID. I've eaten them, but have heard of people getting sick from them. I've also heard of people getting sick from eating morrels, so who knows.

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2665

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Ok Guys i am just getting interested in the shrooms here are a couple I saw today.Can you identify them ?
Attachments:

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2666

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
No#2

Guys I need to see a pic of the hen

Attachments:

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2677

The top one might be a meadow mushroom or a horse mushroom if it has brownish colored gills. Really hard to ID just from picture. That bottom one I aint got a clue. I've got a book called \"Field Guide to Mushrooms\" from the National Audubon Society. It's got all kinds of information on over 700 diferent kinds of shrooms including wether or not they are edible or poisonous and detailed descriptions on how to ID them. It only costs about 20 bucks. Very well worth it to me.

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2684

top one may be a skull shaped puffball ... but i need to see the bottom of it .... the other is an old black staining polypore ... altho edible ... its way past that point

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2686

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Shroomy after I posted here I saw your post on the other tab with the photo of the hen.....I am going to try and find some of them.

Re:plant identification 14 years 6 months ago #2689

billy i saw a bunch of skull shaped puffballs, and some chickens today after doing some work with a friend ... checked a couple areas for hens, but saw none ... how far south are you ?

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 92 guests and no members online

Login