2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: hello to everyone

hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12206

Hello to everyone. I'm pretty new to this site. I found it a few months ago and have enjoyed it. This is the first year I've hunted ginseng since. 2007. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I made it out this weekend for a few hours and had a great time. I also realized how out of shape I am. Lol. I found 10 ounces fresh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12207

Pic
Attachments:

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12209

Some of the nicer ones
Attachments:

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12211

Here is a different one. The big root sprouted off the small rootlet neck.
Attachments:

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12213

Welcome aboard PA Woodsman.

I know what you mean about seng hunting showing you quick how bad out of shape you are. Especially when it is HOT man it will wear you out quick.

Nice looking roots there.

Cool how that one started off and then branched over via the root neck and a larger root system started over there.

I found two double top roots the other day and they were both like that. A smaller root started it off, then the root neck branched over to another complete root system.

In the one below - You can see the original root (on the far left) and the neck that branches over to the right and then several roots that developed after that. That first neck section off the original root probably represents 15-20 years growth then all that other happend later on.

I think that what may happen when that occurs is the top layer of soil where that root is growing may slide down hill a bit (or get moved by something like a tree falling), and the original root neck (that was mostly pointing up) then is pushed over sideways. When the rootneck gets sideways like that (parallel with the soil surface) then that encourages other roots to develop going down and other tops (bud spurs) to develop going up. I think that explains why double tops form at times, and multiple root branches too.

One thing is for sure - it's cool to find one like that.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12226

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Welcome to the site PA Woodsman

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12241

Nice ginseng PA Woodsman

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12283

That's a real nice root TN Hunter. Your right about the ground shifting and making that root sprout off. There was a few places where some trees uprooted. Thanks everyone. I hope to return to this spot and dig a few more big ones tomorrow. I had to stop early the other day so I wouldn't be late for work. It's realty hard to stop when finding big fours. Good luck to everone that gets to start tomorrow.

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12284

Hey

Glad to see you are getting some nice roots. There is some old ginseng in that bunch looks like you had a good area to hunt.

Look forward to getting to see some more of your sang on here and here some of your opinions.

Re:hello to everyone 12 years 6 months ago #12286

Congrats on finding some nice old ones! .... and welcome to the forum!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 548 guests and no members online

Login