2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: **WARNING**

**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10888

Anyone that plans on doing some scouting today or in the next week or so... PLEASE PLEASE use extreme caution because of the heat!!! DO NOT underestimate mother nature!! This extreme heat WILL KILL!!! Take plenty of water,do not over exert yourself take it nice and slow, and just let someone know where you are and when you intend to be back. Even you seasoned outdoorsmen don't take for granted that you will be fine cause it only takes 1 mistake and your done! So please everyone lets all make it to opening day so we can all enjoy this years season.

Thank You

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10889

Set down and take plenty of breaks.Pack some beef Jerky or something that will give you energy if you need it.
I learned the hard way back several years ago taking a Hike with the local boyscout troop.Scout Master told everyone to bring 1 gallon of water.If you needed more there was plenty of springs on the mountain.Dad only packed little debbie cakes and a little trail mix.Half way though the hike which suppose to only be 11 miles which turned out to be over 20 we ran out of Little Debbies and water.My Blood Sugar dropped and i like to haven't made it off of the mountain.There wasn't a spring or Creek to be found because of the sever drought.

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10890

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thats right guys it is always best to be prepared for a longer than exspected journey and it is always,always better to cary extra around,and back out than it is to cary to little and do without the lighter load in such a case may very well be the last load you have to carry,,,,

!!! Always take percaution !!!

Good post Bird Nerd...

Billy.

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10895

I went looking for roots today..WOW I was wringing wet.Just drank lots of water...

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10899

Billy- Thanks I was a Boy Scout and always try to \"Be Prepared\" but I learned the hard way last year and literally almost died!! I had run outa water and became disoriented when I tried to make my way out. I was unsure where exactly I was and basically dropped to the ground! I was looking up this hillside that I was on and I belive only by the race of god I saw a vehicle drive past at the top. I pulled together every last bit of energy I had and crawled to the top where I was able to flag someone down for help!! That experience humbled me not to mention scared the sh*t outa me!! Its a downward spiral thats hard to control once the heat gets to you alittle too much. So PLEASE everyone BE SAFE!!!!!

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10900

Bird.

Dang that don't sound good.Being in the east you can always head down hill to hit water.Heat kills more people a year than floods,cold,tornadoes etc....

When I head out in my pack I got a knife,small cheap poncho,emergency blanket,Matches,T-paper,Super glue,Water and trail mix.If I would snap a leg and need to spend a night at least I got something.Head injury would be the worse.Thats why I try to take one of my teenagers.If some one gets hurt,if they can't call out,then they can go get help.I only worry when I'm by myself.Like yesterday.I came up on a thicket and bounced a black Bear out of bed.Made the hair stand up alittle lol....

Before you ask..Reason for the super glue is for cuts.I'm on blood thinners.If a cut won't stop bleeding,I just glue and go.. works great...

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 9 months ago #10904

good post guys! I went on a 2 mile trek through some very rugged country to check on a few of my patches yesterday. It was 90 degrees here with about 90% humidity. I had two liters of water and went through it all. It's always better to err on the side of caution!

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 8 months ago #10923

Another tip that will help.

Where we find seng around here there is usually plenty of good spring creek water near by.

I used to just take water with me, but last year started taking two big gatoraid drinks and at the end of the day I could tell the difference.

Even with drinking what I thought was enough water often after returning home and taking a shower and trying to rest and recover some my feet (toes) and calves would cramp something serious.

It's no fun when you are really worn out and then that starts happening so you can't really rest well.

I found that drinking gatoraid instead of water helped quite a bit with that.

I usually take two fairly large bottles of gatoraid and after drinking both of them, fill up from a spring creek and do more water as needed until finished.

I always pack a can of beenie-weenie, some peanuts, cookies too - gotta eat and keep your strength up when you are putting out the kind of energy it takes to walk those hills for long hours on hot days.

If you have the toe/feet/leg cramps after hard trips, you should try gatoraid or something similar with minerals added - I do think that helps.

TNhunter

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 7 months ago #12261

That's good advice guys, I'd like to add something to it, I always carry a whistle because if you get injured or fall in and old well (that can happen more than you'd think) the whistle uses less energy than yelling and screaming and the sound carries further.

Re:**WARNING** 12 years 7 months ago #13021

Nact- That is soooo true! I always carry my whistle/compass combo with me! I was just discussing that with a friend yesterday because in spring I rolled my ankle real bad and ever since then every once in a while outa nowhere as im walkin it will roll again! Ive been extremly careful while in the woods cause im afraid ill snap it in the woods!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Who's Online

We have 710 guests and no members online

Login