2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 5 prong club

5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10123

Well 15 years or so after my grandfather first took me out hunting ginseng, I found my first 5 prong plant today while out turkey hunting. I was looking for ginseng a lot harder than hunting for turkey atleast thats my excuse for not putting a tag on one today. Anyhow, I had been find lots of nice 3 prongs and a hand full of 4 prongs and then this one. You'd of thought I had shot the world record turkey by the holler I let out when I found it. Hope the root matches the size of plant when I go out harvesting this fall. Thought you would all enjoy the pics. Sorry about the quality, cellphone.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10124

Sorry my pics are all to big. Tring to figure this out. Give me a few!
Attachments:

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10125

Attachments:

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10126

Attachments:

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10127

Attachments:

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10128

Sengfever,

WOW - now that is sweet !

I have been hunting seng since 1976 and never found a 5 around here.

I did find one - probably 20 years ago now - that had 3 - 3 prong tops comming off the same root and have found several more that had double 3 prong tops off the same root. Never a 5 though.

One of my old seng hunting buddies told me his dad found a 7 prong once. It first came up to a 4 prong then where the berry stem normally was it went on up to a second deck that had 3 prongs, then had a berry stem on top of that.

I would love to find one like that too.

Perhaps this year will be my lucky year to find a special top or a 5 prong.

PS - looks like that plant you found is going to have a nice wad of berries too and looking at how big and healthy it is, the thick stem, and those big full broad leaves I bet you are going to have a real nice root there too.

Congradulations !

TNhunter

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10148

:cheer: awesome pics! as a newbee I appreciate the close up detail of such an awesome plant!

Re:5 prong club 12 years 10 months ago #10157

That's about as cool as killing a three bearded tom!!! I hope to find a 5 this year as well!!! Awsome find!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 290 guests and no members online

Login